Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

'06 Pacifica Ft. rattles, clunks

Old 04-11-2012, 06:41 AM
Angry '06 Pacifica Ft. rattles, clunks

First time post. I bought a new, loaded, 2006 Pacifica Touring, front-wheel drive along with an extended warranty that will expire in 300 miles. It has 69,700 miles. I love this car and have no plans to sell it, but it has developed low speed front-end rattles and clunks driving over uneven roads. I've complained about this several times and had it in for service twice the past year to address the specific problems. The first time my Chrysler dealer said nothing was wrong. The last time they said it was coming from a loose heat shield which they said they fixed, but the ignoring sounds persist. I want to keep this car in top shape. I'm running out of warranty time and want to get it fixed while I still have zero deductible service maintenance warranty. Are Chrysler Dealers aware of these issues? What can I do to get them to fix the problems?

Tim

Old 04-11-2012, 01:24 PM

The only TSB associated with front end noise is as follows:

TSB 03-002-06

SUBJECT: Front Hub/Half Shaft Click/Pop Sound

OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves installing a rubber gasket to the face of the half shaft that mounts to the hub bearing.

MODELS: 2004 - **2006** (CS) Pacifica

NOTE: **Every time the front half shafts are serviced, the rubber gasket must be
replaced.**

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Vehicle may exhibit a popping/clicking/snapping/ticking sound from the front hub/half shaft area during acceleration after Drive to Reverse or Reverse to Driving shifts. The sound may also be present while turning and accelerating from a stop.

DIAGNOSIS:
In order to determine if the popping/clicking/snapping/ticking sound is coming from the
front hub/half shaft interface, perform the following procedure:

1. Remove the cotter pin, nut lock, and wave washer from the end of both front half
shafts.
2. With the vehicle's brakes applied to keep the hub from turning, loosen both half shaft nuts to zero torque.
3. With the service brake applied, shift the vehicle from Drive to Reverse and Reverse to Drive. Once the transmission is engaged in gear, raise the engine speed to 1800 rpm.
4. If the sound is not present, perform the Repair Procedure. If the sound is still present,
**DO NOT replace the half shafts or hub bearings,** the source of the sound is elsewhere. Further diagnosis is required.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:33 AM

I appreciated this information.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:59 PM

Your very welcome Tim, hope you get the issue resolved soon!

Old 04-13-2012, 07:43 PM

sounds like lower control arm bushing to me when i had a pacifica they replaced the lower control arms to fix the clunking noise there are a lot of tsb on front end clunk have dealer run all tsb on front end clunk all years

Old 04-20-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by xfire04
sounds like lower control arm bushing to me when i had a pacifica they replaced the lower control arms to fix the clunking noise there are a lot of tsb on front end clunk have dealer run all tsb on front end clunk all years
My wife and I had this exact issue with a 2005 Town and Country. Struts and mounts were replaced, shocks were fine, and after three years, we finally took it to our local dealership. They replaced the lower control arms and bushings, and the noise has been gone ever since.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 PM

i have a excellent dealer that i go to right off they checked all tsbs i was there when they replaced the control arms i didn't see anything wrong with them they said that i wouldn't they were right the problem was fixed
the pac was replaced by a Crossfire

Old 05-01-2012, 04:54 AM
Default Front end clunks

There seems to be a bunch of reasons why these pacifica's are making clunk noises from the front end. My 06 AWD has the same clunking . So far I've heard control arm bushings, ball joint, half shaft, shocks-spring, and sway bar bushings. I know my ball joint is OK and the control arm bushings appear to be fine. I do have very slight wheel bearing play and I will replace both front bearings soon but I'm 100% sure the noise is not from the bearing. This is slow speed clunking and it happens when going over man hole covers, small pot holes and even smooth speed bump like lumps in the road. Definately not bearing noise. I have read that a couple others with the exact same clunk description have tried everything and nothing worked until they had the sway bar bushings replaced. Has anyone else fixed it with sway bar bushings?? I would love to hear from you as I can't afford to just try one thing and hope it works. The bushings are fairly cheap. If there's a good chance that this is the cause I would really like to know how many of you have had and fixed this clunking, and what fixed it. Thanks!!!!

Old 05-01-2012, 01:56 PM

There is a TSB that sounds very similar to your concern grbullets but it says that it only applies to 2004-05 model years built prior to sept. '04. Take a look:

TSB 02-007-04

SUBJECT:
Low Speed Rattle/Clunk Sound From Front Suspension
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the front suspension lower control arms.

MODELS:
2004 - 2005 (CS) Pacifica

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before September 28, 2004 (MDH
0928XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The vehicle operator may describe a rattle/clunk sound which may be heard from the front suspension while driving between 16 - 40 km/h (10 - 25 mph), over minor bumps/road fluctuations. The rattle/clunk sound is caused by the lower control arm rear bushing.

DIAGNOSIS:
Road test the vehicle at low speeds, 16 - 40 km/h (10 - 25 mph), driving over minor bumps and listening for the rattle/clunk sound from the front suspension. A road test driving 8 - 16 km/h (5 - 10 mph) in a parking lot and briefly applying the brakes on/off to load the front suspension lower control arms may duplicate the sound. The technician may also use chassis ears on the lower control arms near the rear bushing, to aid in diagnosis.

If the technician experiences the Symptom/Condition, perform the Repair Procedure.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by grbullets
Has anyone else fixed it with sway bar bushings??
Yes! The sway bar bushings solved it for me for a while. Past the last two years I have had a lot of different noises in the front end. Replacing parts solves it for a while before it starts again. Last time, three weeks ago, it was just a loose nut on the sway bar link. Now it has started again. I have given up. Ill just let it "shake, rattle and roll" for a while.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '06 Pacifica Ft. rattles, clunks