Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

06 Pacifica lifter noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Exclamation 06 Pacifica engine noise, lifter problems...PLS HELP!!

My 2006 Chrysler Pacifica, which I just bought in September and has less than 50,000 miles on it, started making a noise this week coming from the engine, I took it to the mechanic and he said it was the top lifter but cannot determine why the lifter went bad...we trust our mechanic and he is actually confused with my lifter problem and will have to open the engine to ensure it was not created by something else before he fixes the lifters....how could a car with such low mileage have a problem with the engine/lifter already? I am so disappointed and worried as I paid 13,000 for my car....I do oil changes every 3000 miles, and treat my car with a lot of TLC....anyone had this problem? Any suggestions? I have found online read that this has happened to other Pacifica and Chrysler owners and that once the lifters have been fixed the noise continues...PLEASE HELP!

Last edited by yaseling; 02-20-2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: to make title more informative
Old 02-20-2009, 08:17 PM
moe

i have never had to replace lifters in a pac .i wouldn't say its common.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Angry 2006 Pacifica valve, lifter noise

I have the same problem with 40,000 my noise is so bad I am parking the car so I can come up with a game plan. Something is up I wonder how many more people are dealing with this problem? The noise is coming from the cylinder head closest to the firewall. lifter? rocker? valve seat? damage to valve stem from tapping? What a joke I am furious with this, seemingly common problem.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:42 PM

Brett,

My mechanic is going to open the engine on Wednesday and let me know what is causing the lifter to make that noise, because he was unable to find anything in the exterior. I'll post what my mechanic advises once I speak with him. But I have found in other blogs on the net where other Pacifica owners have had the same problem with no real explanation, and even after replacing the lifter, the noise has returned after a few months...this does seem common now that I have searched this issue, I wish I would have researched this before buying the car. Chrysler does not have a recall for this lifter issue (which is surprising at such low mileage) and I have already communicated my disappointment to Chrysler. Doubt they'll turn this into a recall though...but you never know...Chrysler should take the responsibility!!!!

Old 02-23-2009, 02:53 PM

I appreciate your input, I have found a few people though with the same issue I am having...thanks again.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:34 AM

Update - my lifters have been replaced, two were replaced, and as has happened to other owners from what I have found online, my mechanic was unable to figure out why my lifters went bad. I know dealer mechanics usually give some explanation which makes no sense, but my mechanic was honest with me and said no reason for the lifters to go bad was found. It seems this problem is common and these cars come with this problem. Any advise on how to avoid this in future is greatly appreciated. Chrysler however, although it will probably never happen in the current financial state they are in, should step up to the plate and accept that many of their Pacificas came with this problem and they should take the responsibility.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Default Lifter noise is back

replaced two lifters two weeks ago, the noise is back! how could this be, this car does not even have 50k miles on it. did I buy a lemon?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

get some stuff called valve medic put that in the oil

Old 03-16-2009, 07:14 PM

What does that contain, higher levels of Zinc maybe? I was digging into that issue several months back about the current levels of ZDDP in today's oils. I think one of the highest levels is Shell's Rotella diesel oil(i.e.15w40). I was just wondering about that "Valve Medic", didn't wanna hijack this about oils, just don't want my lifters to go bad too.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.gunk.com/CAT_M3712.asp
put some in my moms 3.0 that had lifter tick been 6 months and still no more noise.

Quick Reply: 06 Pacifica lifter noise