Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2004 chrysler pacifica climate control problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 07:13 PM
Exclamation 2004 chrysler pacifica climate control problem

Hello Everyone.
First of all let me say this car of mine is a piece of crap. Anyhoo.. has anyone else experienced dual climate control problems? Let me tell you my story I bought my Pacifica thinking it was a nice clean vehicle with only 150000 miles on it. We bought it for our baby we are having and thought it would be a safe ride to drive him around in. Well he isn't here yet so I have some time to fix this last problem. I never saw the climate control working as I bought is used. The blower works and it blows hot air. Fan goes up and down, and turns off with the power button. Initially it blowed through the panel only. The car must have a parasitic drain because I noticed it starting hard throughout the end of our winter. One day the battery was dead and I needed to jump it. One day it wouldn't start for my woman and I was a work so she took a uber and the battery to advance auto parts while I was working. When I returned home I picked up the battery and put it back into the car. They told her the battery was completely dead when she brought it in, but they charged it up and said the battery was fine. I plopped it into the car bolted it down and connected the battery terminals and hoped into the car. It started right up. I gasped as I looked and saw the climate control unit alive and well for the first time since I bought the car. We played with every setting, and we were amazed seeing the outside temp displayed, cheered as the air conditioning snow flake displayed as I pressed the button. the defroster worked when commanded. It worked for the evening and started flickering a little as we finished our evening out. I said to myself its not going to last. Sure enough two days later as I was driving it took its last breath again. I have since tested the battery with a multi-meter and the battery hangs at 12.5 sitting and 13.2 when running. I have repeated the process by removing the battery and charging it up to 12.8 on my battery charger, re-putting it into the vehicle and wiggling the ground wires and I have been tempted to add a additional ground wire as I saw on you-tube for Pacificas that are hard starting or other problems... I don't know where to go from here. There is not much out there on the web on this problem, I don't think I need to replace the unit... and I hope someone out there can relate and tell me where to look what to do!! Thanks for your time.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:43 PM

If you are only getting 13.2 volts off the battery when the engine is running, you have a bad alternator.
It is not putting out enough voltage. The voltage running should be reading 14 plus volts with a volt meter when the engine is running.
Alternators can fail in two ways, they flat out die and supply no voltage, or they partially die and supply insufficient voltage.
If the regulator fails, they can supply to much voltage and fry things.

It's not uncommon with a bad alternator for you to experience the issues you had with the temp controls, because newer cars are all controlled by the computers. Disconnecting the power reset the system so that they worked again.

Last edited by BiliTheAxe; 04-27-2018 at 10:48 PM.