Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2004 Pacifica AWD No-Start Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:51 AM
CJC
Default 2004 Pacifica AWD No-Start Issue

Hi guys, this is my first post here, but I've lurked a bit over the last couple of weeks. I own a 2001 LHS and my wife has a 2004 Pacifica.

Anyway, she just called me, she just tried to start her car and it won't start. Her message center is displaying a "vehicle not in park" error message but it is in park. The vehicle has a factory alarm and an after market remote start (professionally installed, less than a year old). I told her to try starting it in neutral (figuring maybe a neutral safety switch issue), but no dice. I also called the installer of the remote start and they say there's no way to disable it (thinking it might be the issue).

Any advice on what this could be, and how she can get it started (she's 65 miles away, by the way).

Old 08-07-2009, 04:49 PM

My guess would be the shifter isn't sending the "park" trigger to the starting circuit. However, I would double check the remote start add-on to make sure it's not interfering somehow!!!

Old 11-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Default similar tale, but not sure

about 7 months ago, my 04 pac wouldn't turn over, and having a new gel cell battery, i knew it wasn't that. i had just turned the car off. on a hunch i pulled out the key, pressed the lock button, then the unlock button, and then tried again. started right up.

that has happened a couple of times since then, but always kicked right back to life.

now last night in brooklyn ny, 4 hours from my home in syracuse, ny, i stopped by the river for a romantic stroll with my girl.

shortly thereafter, go to leave & no start.

full power, but nothing happening with the key to starting position.

switched every run/ign/starter related relay/fuse around in the PCM. no change. moved all items, steering, shifter, wiggled ignition, rapped dashboard, did the jig to the car gods, etc.

and of course, my dash computer display is shot, and i get no messages.

i intend to take my tools to her, with the official shop manual, and get to the bottom of things this weekend, but does anyone have anything they recommend with the information given?

thanks much, always good replies here.