Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2004 Pacifica Low speed vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:36 PM
Default 2004 Pacifica Low speed vibration

I have a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica that my wife and I just love. It really is one heck of a family car. I think I may have a problem, and I wanted to check with you guys before I took it to the dealer to see if it is just a normal condition or if it is truly a problem.

At low speed under load, their seems to be a low vibration and it doesn't really feel like the car is putting all of its power to the ground. Usually the vibration worsens the more power is applied. It seems to disappear after the vehicle shifts out of first, but is present most of the time the car is under a decent amount of power load. It seemed much worse after I hooked up my pop-up (2500 lbs) for the first time today.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2007, 07:06 AM
Default RE: 2004 Pacifica Low speed vibration

It sounds to me like either your first gear clutch pack is getting worn out or the torque convertor may be going. If it were me I would definately take it in to the dealer to havae them take a look at it. Have you tried using the auto stick to run up through the gears? Just curious if it shifts any differently when you select the shift points vs the transmission itself. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

Bob

Old 07-15-2007, 10:52 AM

I just got back from vacation. Our Pacifica did really well on vacation in the mountains of North Georgia. It did seem to bring to the forefront the vibration problem. In response to your question, it does seem to me to be the torque converter. I am led to believe this because the vibration does not take place only in first gear although it does seem more prevalent in that gear. It seems to take place more whenever the car is under a load. It is pronounced when climbing a steep hill from a stop especially. I have checked the transmission fluid, and it looks fine and is topped off at the right level. We just went over 40,000 miles so it would seem a bit premature for a torque converter to wear out, but I would imagine this is possible. I do have to say however that the vehicle can cover long distance in very good comfort. Anyways, thanks for the help, and I will keep you posted.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:51 PM
TEF

Check the Motormounts... I had the exact same symptoms and the dealer finally discovered it was the front motormount.

Edit: To expand on that... when you put the engine under a load it tries to torque in the mounts. If one of the mounts is busted then when the engine torques metal touches metal and there's your vibration. This happened to me at the same mileage as you have. I hope this is your problem, because it's never fun to have transmission problems.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:45 PM

My front motor mount was replaced at 38K. Similar symptoms