Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Pacifica (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/)
-   -   2005 Pacifica electrical issue (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/2005-pacifica-electrical-issue-31746/)

MatthewJon 04-05-2020 08:10 PM

2005 Pacifica electrical issue

Hi, my mom has a 2005 Pacifica with an electrical issue. The other day, she took the dog for a ride and everything worked fine.

Today she goes out and her fob wouldn’t work and the car wouldn’t start. Turns out the battery was dead. I jumped it, then took it for about a 20 minute spin. Parked it, turned the key off, opened the door and the radio stayed on. The radio should turn off once the door is open, right?

Is there a switch in the door that could be causing an issue, or maybe a BCM? Something is draining the battery. I did check to see if she left the lights on, and they were off. Could a weak battery cause an issue like this?

Any ideas? Help is appreciated.

Matt

djetelina 04-06-2020 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Going to take someone with electrical experience to identify the root cause. Quite a bit involved, attached is a partial wiring diagram.

ChryslerCares 04-07-2020 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by MatthewJon (Post 114084)
Hi, my mom has a 2005 Pacifica with an electrical issue. The other day, she took the dog for a ride and everything worked fine.

Today she goes out and her fob wouldn’t work and the car wouldn’t start. Turns out the battery was dead. I jumped it, then took it for about a 20 minute spin. Parked it, turned the key off, opened the door and the radio stayed on. The radio should turn off once the door is open, right?

Is there a switch in the door that could be causing an issue, or maybe a BCM? Something is draining the battery. I did check to see if she left the lights on, and they were off. Could a weak battery cause an issue like this?

Any ideas? Help is appreciated.

Matt

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
ChryslerCares

MatthewJon 09-14-2020 08:55 PM

Still dealing with the issue. With everything going on, haven’t spent much time working on the car.

I watched a good YouTube video about a Pacifica with tons of electrical gremlins. Turned out the issue was with a ground wire that was below the battery tray. I looked and the wires were crusty green, so I put on a new eyelet connector. That didn’t solve the issue.

So maybe the next step is looking at the drivers side door switch. I will let you all know what I find.

jesoma 10-02-2020 02:54 PM

Had the same problem, dead battery, had to recharge. I believe it's the ignition switch. To prevent it, I turn the car off and jiggle the key until radio goes off.

Rich Ard 08-03-2021 03:33 PM

Did you get this resolved?

Were you able to solve problem?

I have a parasitic draw and believe it's my ignition switch.
  • Just getting started to trouble shoot problem.
  • I will pull key from ignition and alarm rings as if key was left in ignition.
  • Giggle ignition with key and it stops.
Before I start trouble shooting my problem, was hoping to get insight from you if you were able to solve problem.
Thx
Rich Ard

jesoma 10-04-2021 06:09 PM

No never did any troubleshooting, car is old so I just do the jiggle thing, make sure radio goes off, and then pull the key. After repairing the problem with main ground wire issue, pain in the neck to get to, don't want to do time consuming fixes. (although maybe easy fix?)