Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2005 Pacifica electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 08:10 PM
Default 2005 Pacifica electrical issue

Hi, my mom has a 2005 Pacifica with an electrical issue. The other day, she took the dog for a ride and everything worked fine.

Today she goes out and her fob wouldn’t work and the car wouldn’t start. Turns out the battery was dead. I jumped it, then took it for about a 20 minute spin. Parked it, turned the key off, opened the door and the radio stayed on. The radio should turn off once the door is open, right?

Is there a switch in the door that could be causing an issue, or maybe a BCM? Something is draining the battery. I did check to see if she left the lights on, and they were off. Could a weak battery cause an issue like this?

Any ideas? Help is appreciated.

Matt

Old 04-06-2020, 07:32 PM

Going to take someone with electrical experience to identify the root cause. Quite a bit involved, attached is a partial wiring diagram.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Radio Pages from Pac Wiring].pdf (630.1 KB, 113 views)
Old 04-07-2020, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by MatthewJon
Hi, my mom has a 2005 Pacifica with an electrical issue. The other day, she took the dog for a ride and everything worked fine.

Today she goes out and her fob wouldn’t work and the car wouldn’t start. Turns out the battery was dead. I jumped it, then took it for about a 20 minute spin. Parked it, turned the key off, opened the door and the radio stayed on. The radio should turn off once the door is open, right?

Is there a switch in the door that could be causing an issue, or maybe a BCM? Something is draining the battery. I did check to see if she left the lights on, and they were off. Could a weak battery cause an issue like this?

Any ideas? Help is appreciated.

Matt
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
ChryslerCares

Old 09-14-2020, 08:55 PM

Still dealing with the issue. With everything going on, haven’t spent much time working on the car.

I watched a good YouTube video about a Pacifica with tons of electrical gremlins. Turned out the issue was with a ground wire that was below the battery tray. I looked and the wires were crusty green, so I put on a new eyelet connector. That didn’t solve the issue.

So maybe the next step is looking at the drivers side door switch. I will let you all know what I find.

Old 10-02-2020, 02:54 PM

Had the same problem, dead battery, had to recharge. I believe it's the ignition switch. To prevent it, I turn the car off and jiggle the key until radio goes off.

Old 08-03-2021, 03:33 PM
Question Did you get this resolved?

Were you able to solve problem?

I have a parasitic draw and believe it's my ignition switch.
  • Just getting started to trouble shoot problem.
  • I will pull key from ignition and alarm rings as if key was left in ignition.
  • Giggle ignition with key and it stops.
Before I start trouble shooting my problem, was hoping to get insight from you if you were able to solve problem.
Thx
Rich Ard

Old 10-04-2021, 06:09 PM

No never did any troubleshooting, car is old so I just do the jiggle thing, make sure radio goes off, and then pull the key. After repairing the problem with main ground wire issue, pain in the neck to get to, don't want to do time consuming fixes. (although maybe easy fix?)