Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2005 Pacifica "off time"

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Default 2005 Pacifica "off time"

I have a 2005 Pacifica that shut down on the freeway while going 70. When I got to the side of the road, the car would not start (was trying to turn over but wouldn't). I had it towed to a dealership, and they charged me $200 to look at it. After they looked at it, they said they "thought" the engine had lost time, but they needed me to spend an additional $1000 to pull the head to check the valves and pistons to make sure. After that they estimated $2500 to fix the problem, but they weren't sure if that was the problem.

The question I have is there anyway I can get the Pacifica back "on time" to see if this is the problem? I have no problem getting my hands dirty and buying guides, but I needed to know what my options were before I did anything. Thanks for any help!

Old 07-19-2011, 07:17 PM

I would assume they might have said "lost timing belt?" If they indeed (for 1000 bucks) tore down the engine and determined valve/piston damage has occurred you are pretty much stuck. You could have the car towed elsewhere for another opinion. But if indeed the belt failed in some fashion and you had a meeting of piston heads and valves, the damage is unfortunately done. I would assume if they have torn it down, they are likely waiting for your decision - in other words they have yet to re-assemble the heads etc. Ask them to show you what they found.

Good luck with it. I am sorry you are dealing with this.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Default I guess it makes sense!

They said they wanted to open it up to determine if that is the problem. They could not tell me until I paid to have it done. They told me they "weren't sure". I did not want to pay $1000 for a maybe. I had the timing belt replaced less than a year ago. Could they have messed it up? Can I get it back in time even with a bent piston or lifter?

Old 07-20-2011, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by musicmanofuh
They said they wanted to open it up to determine if that is the problem. They could not tell me until I paid to have it done. They told me they "weren't sure". I did not want to pay $1000 for a maybe. I had the timing belt replaced less than a year ago. Could they have messed it up? Can I get it back in time even with a bent piston or lifter?
I see. At this point it seems a second opinion might be best for you. Can you get a recommendation from a friend/neighbor for an independent shop? I am not saying the dealer is wrong, but you seem uncomfortable with them and the cost.

As to your "back in time" question: yes I suppose if the crank/pistons and cam/valves are moving freely the timing could be set appropriately - belt "re-indexed" or replaced, but if there is damage to any of the components you are likely going to cause further damage by running the engine, even if it does run.

My best advice would be to seek additional professional diagnosis. I am a relatively experienced amateur mechanic and have access to professional advice and tools/shop etc. but I would not be touching my own car if I thought I had experienced a timing belt failure at freeway speed. The repair work involved is too complex an the re-assembly and timing too critical to mess up.

Not the greatest news but I hope it helps.