Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Automatic Transmission Fluid in PTU

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Default Automatic Transmission Fluid in PTU

We just took our 2005 Pacifica AWD in for service because it had a small amount of red fluid leaking (what I thought was transmission fluid) and I could not tighten anything up. The leak started about 3 weeks ago. I was starting to think that the AWD was not working properly when we were in the snow a few weeks ago and had difficulty getting going (never had that problem before). The Chrysler Service Rep said that there was ATF Fluid in the PTU and that the PTU would have to be replaced. He said that it would not be covered under warranty as someone must have put it there. We have had the car for 3 years and 50K+ miles (had ~15K miles on it when we got it) and I am sure no one put fluid in it during that time. It has only been to a different Chrysler dealer before, and had no work done around the transfer case.

Additionally the service technician said that it did have an axle seal leak that would be covered under warranty.

Does it seem possible that the car could work fine for over 50K miles and three years with ATF fluid in the PTU case and then suddenly start having problems?

If someone had done it deliberatly, what would be the benefit of doing it? doesn't seem like it would hide any defects or anything and it is not like you can just pour fluid in through an access port. It would have to be put directly into the unit, right?

Any thoughts that anyone has or suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

Kent