Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

AWD Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Default AWD Question

A few weeks ago I became the new owner of an '05 AWD Pacifica Touring, with the 3.5L engine. When I'm driving it feels like the AWD is constantly engaged, especially when driving at very low speeds, and pulling into/out of parking spaces. It is very, very noticeable while backing out of my driveway, and the tires tend to "skip" when I turn the steering wheel.I have owned quite a few 4X4 SUV's (Durango, Grand Cherokee's, etc.) so I'm familiar with AWD/4X4 operation, and the feeling of driving a vehicle with 4X4 engaged, but according to the owners manual the AWD only kicks in when the front wheels begin to slip. Does this seem normal for the Pacifica AWD? Also, in the 550 miles I've driven so far, I'm averaging 16 mpg, which seems a little low for a car that is suppose to operate a majority of the time in 2-wheel drive. I drive very conservatively, traveling mostly on rural roads at speeds of 35-45 mph.

I've read other threads in this forum referring to computer updates that affect both engine and transmission performance. Is there any way to determine if my new Pacifica needs these updates?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Old 02-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: AWD Question

its AWD all the time there is no disengagement of the system The jeeps and durangos might have has select trax where u can have 4x4 some of the time. Yeah u will also have lower MPG because of that. If u give me the last 8 of the vin i will look and see if there is an engine update that will change the performance of your computer and tranny computer.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:52 PM

Chrysler Tech,

Thanks for the response to my questions. You're correct about jeeps and the durango having a 4X4 system that can be engaged/disengagedwith the flip of the transfer case shifter.

As to the vinfor my Pacifica, it's 5R526957.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

u might have updates but none of them are for performance. There are 3 1 for missfire 1 for idle roughness at 2500 and 1 for low speed parking low idle undershoot.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:05 PM

i have a 04 awd cant even tell when awd is working my mpg is 19 city and 22 highway

Old 02-11-2007, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

it works all the time there is no turning it off it is just like a full time all wheel drive jeep

Old 02-11-2007, 10:51 AM

Getting 19 mpg city isn't too hard to take, especially for an AWD.Before I bought my Pacifica, I did some research on mpg averages, and they seemed to run in the 18-22 mpg range for city driving (the EPA estimate is 17 mpg), so the 16 mpg I'm currently getting seems low. My 1999 Durango (with a V8) gave me 16 mpg when driven in 2WD, and it was much larger and heavier than the Pacifica. If I could manage 18 or 19 mpg with the Pacifica, I'd be a happy camper! Last week I installed a K & N air filter, but it's too soon to tell if it will help my gas mileage, but there is a noticeable improvement with acceleration and low-end performance.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:22 AM

i installed a k & n in mine a it gave me about 1 mpg more

Old 04-13-2007, 07:52 PM

The research I found indicated that the Pacifica is basically FWD and the rear wheels only engage when the front wheels loose traction.

I have an 04...

Old 04-15-2007, 12:35 PM

Dear Chrysler Tech,
I have an 06 and have yet to get 16 MPG...I have yet to getbetter than 13MPG.
I've had it back to the Chysler Dealer and they said they find nothing wrong.
Canyou PLEASE check mine?
My VIN ends in: R612887.
The gas mileage is killing me.
Thank you.

Quick Reply: AWD Question