Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Broken Tire Valve Stems (TPMS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Default Broken Tire Valve Stems (TPMS)

Last week I went to check the tires as I was getting a low tire pressure message on the dashboard (2008 Pacifica LX). When I unscrewed the plastic cap on one of the values, the value stem broke off in my hand and naturally, the tire deflated. Being it was a holiday weekend and during a snowstorm, I had the tire fixed and the TPMS valve replaced with a standard (non TPMS) valve stem. Which naturally triggered the warning message.

Today, the error message included a message saying one tire was low. I placed my tire pressure gauge on the suspect tire - and to my surprise, this stem fractured the same way as the first one did.

I have always maitained my vehicles and the stems have always had the plastic valve caps on them.

I ordered 2 new stems from Tire Rack for $41.00 each plus shipping.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Is this covered under the warranty?

Old 01-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

if its covered under warranty why did u buy 2 sensors?

Old 01-03-2011, 07:09 PM

It may very well have been covered, but not anymore......

Not to bust anyones bubble...but I have had NOTHING BUT BAD LUCK with AFTERMARKET SENSORS......

Just a general question...Would you buy your meat from an electrician, or Let your Butcher rewire your house????
Certainly not....Now I know the dealer is much more expensive, But you get what you pay for in terms of what will and what wont work with your specific vehicle.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
It may very well have been covered, but not anymore......

Now I know the dealer is much more expensive, But you get what you pay for in terms of what will and what wont work with your specific vehicle.

I bought the sensors from Tire Rack which I perceive to be a reputable organization.

The sensors were installed today and within 2 miles the car's computer recognized both sensors and the error message is now gone.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:52 PM

Same thing happened to me today, Broken valve
Apparently this Is not common and It's like a one and a million chance If It does happen. So It appears that the valve cover Itself Is made from plastic and aluminium. If this was made with steal, It wouldn't break.

Anyhow.....

I've taken the sensor off and put on a rubber valve
The problem I have now Is getting that damn warning Icon off the dash.
I may have to make a thread about this.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:42 PM

It happens some but it's not a rash or anything. I know if you curb them they won't survive.

Remember though when you get angry about your tire sensors you can thank FORD, FIRESTONE, a select group of morons who never check their air and UNCLE SAM for the federal mandate. I hate them as much as you do.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 PM

Remember though when you get angry about your tire sensors you can thank FORD, FIRESTONE, a select group of morons who never check their air and UNCLE SAM for the federal mandate. I hate them as much as you do.
Oh my god..... I was starting to think I was the only one who remembered that.

In all honesty, The majority of damaged sensors I see are from Basic ---"YOU DIDNT READ THE MANUAL"....And you put chrome caps on the stem....

The dissimilar metals sieze and weaken the aluminum.....

ALWAYS USE PLASTIC CAPS ONLY.........