Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

A/C Recirculated air

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Default A/C Recirculated air

I have a 2004 Pacifica. I had to have some work done on my AC last week.

In the past, whenever I pushed the recirculated air button, the sound of the air blowing would always getnoticeably louder. Now suddenly there is no change in the sound when I press the button.

I have two options: A)It was not working right for the last 18 months I've had the car and shouldn't have made a noticeably different air flow noise, or B) the dealership screwed up and I have no recikrculated air function any longer and I'll have to waste another day to get them to fix their mistake.

So any other owners out there, let me know, am I supposed to hear a difference in the air flow when I press the recirculated air button?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Default RE: A/C Recirculated air

Forum posting issues, continues in next post...
In most cars I would usually hear a change in the sound, sounding louder in the rec-circ mode. I am not sure about the Pac, but in most cars there is a 'vent' on the the right side of the dash near where the door closes. It is not visable from sitting in the passenger seat when the door is closed (again, not sure about the Pac, but there is one somewhere). Anyway, that is the air input for the re-circ mode. In re-circ, air is taken from inside the car, as opposed to normal mode, where air is taken from outside the car. So, when re-circ is selected, there isa mode door that opens to the cabin and closes off the outside input. That is why it sounds louder in re-circ mode,

Old 06-23-2008, 08:14 AM

air is getting sucked from inside the cabin through that vent as opposed to getting sucked in from the outside, usually from under the cowl. I would verify that the mode door is operating correctly.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:27 PM

B. Fer sure.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:34 AM

I had a leaking a/c high pressure switch on my 08 that apparently knocked out the recirc mode on my 08 Pacifica. The blower wouldn't run on the high or 4th position at all and recirc made no difference. When it was working correctly, the recirc mode would change the fan speed and blow air through the vents at a higher rate than high.

What I wasn't able to find out from the dealer that did the repair was the cause and correction to actuate the recirc and blower. Or to explain the connection between the pressure switch and part of the speed range of the blower. However, the last several years of Chryslers have been using digital control for much of the body such as the heater. A possible solution would be to disconnect the battery for several minutes (some have had results in a few minutes, others have taken an hour or more). This usually has the effect of "rebooting" the on-board systems. I suspect this was how my Pacifica was cured because the personal settings were reset to the defaults.