Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

car won't start after hitting a snow bank!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Default car won't start after hitting a snow bank!

Hi folks!
My wife informed me today that she slid into a snow bank. I don't know all of the specifics but I do know that the airbags did not deploy and it appears as though the car will now not start; any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:12 PM

More info......Does it crank, ??? Where is the car, ??? Is it still in the snow bank, or did she drive it home and the next morning it doesnt start???

Just a speculation, But as it stands now, It could be just coincidence, to an oil pan that got sheared off of the car, to a computer that got crushed, and EVERYTHING in between.....

DETAILS.......DETAILS.........DETAILS

Old 02-27-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
More info......Does it crank, ??? Where is the car, ??? Is it still in the snow bank, or did she drive it home and the next morning it doesnt start???

Just a speculation, But as it stands now, It could be just coincidence, to an oil pan that got sheared off of the car, to a computer that got crushed, and EVERYTHING in between.....

DETAILS.......DETAILS.........DETAILS
She had to have it towed. I don't know too many of the details because I'm away for the weekend. From what I understand she slid into the snow bank and the car shut off. The tow truck driver said that the computer may need to be reset? Safety feature perhaps?

Old 02-27-2011, 03:46 PM

I had a similar problem but it was with an lhs. Not sure how similar they will be but in the end we replaced a censor and it was fixed. My husband did the work and the part was only 30 for the lhs. hope this helps.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:43 PM

I had a similar problem but it was with an lhs.
Just for giggles.....Do you have any Idea what an IHS is?????

Resetting a computer......I doubt it, but if you wish to try.....Remove both battery cables, touch them together, count to ten, and reinstall....

Old 02-27-2011, 09:54 PM

it was all lower caps my car was an LHS

Old 02-28-2011, 05:11 PM

My apologies.....

I-H-S stands for interior High speed Buss communication system used on Late model chryslers....Of which I dont think PACs had them, At least not prior to 08

The confusion set in because an Interior buss would likely not be damaged by an exterior collision, and it would not stop the car from running

Once again My apologies for the confusion.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:20 PM

I had an '89 and a '96 Ford that had inertial switches (accessible in the trunk/cargo area) that shut off the fuel pump in the event of rapid deceleration. Do later model vehicles - specifically Pac's still have such an animal? Or is the function handled through another system now?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:44 PM

Unfortunately, it isnt handled at all.....Ford and a few select EURO -Cars, still use this animal...But Pacs never did, Nothing Mopar ever did.

It wasnt necessarily Rapid decel that did it.....Back in the day, I had more than my share of Back doors that were slammed too hard, or speedbumps that were aproacched too fast.

I was recently at an accident scene where a car was flipped upside down, and was still running. No GAs leak.....
The fuel pumps on Mopars, are designed to stay energized, until Crank signal is lost, If the car doesnt stall, The pump continues to run...If it had lost significant fuel pressure from a leak, it would stall, and the pump would be killed by "LAck of Crank Signal".

Old 03-01-2011, 06:40 AM

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: car won't start after hitting a snow bank!