Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Chrysler Pacifica Headlight Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Default Chrysler Pacifica Headlight Replacement

I'm trying to replace the passanger side headlight in my 2004 Pacifica. The owners manual says to open the hood and remove the two screws on top of the headlight housing (which secure the headlight housing to the body of the car), and then slide the whole housing forward. Once this is done, I should be able to access the bulb chamber to replace the bulb.

In any event, after removing the two screws, I can wiggle the housing unit a bit, but can't slide the headlight housing forward as described. It "feels" like there is a retainer clip, or something holding it back. When I depress the plastic bumber cover below the unit, I can slide my hand under it, but I still cant pull it out. . . .I'm hesitent to be too forceful, as I don't want to break something.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? Anyone know where I can access an onlinediagram of the assembly and how it is mounted? This is so frustrating - such a simple maintenance project shouldn't be such a pain in the ***! [:@]

Happy holidays to all! Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Old 12-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Default RE: Chrysler Pacifica Headlight Replacement

On my Sebring, there was a small ball at the pointed end of the turn signal side that snapped into a socket in the body sheetmetal. Your's may have something similar. This ball/socket created a third attachment point and helped to steady the assembly.

I haven't had a chance to review the Pacifica's light assemblies but I suspect it may be something similar.

Hope it helps.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:57 PM

Bandaide,

Thanks for your thoughts - I'm sure you're right about it being a similar attachment point. I just can't figure out how to make it release. []

If you or anyone else know's where I can get a diagram of the assembly, I'd really appreciate hearing about it.

- MadMac

Old 12-23-2007, 08:38 AM

Bandaide - I got it done this morning. Thanks again for your moral support.

FYI to anyone else wondering about this, there is a plastic clip attached to the body of the car (at the bottom front, to the left of center of the headlight assembly cavity) that holds the assembly back.

By rocking the light housing slightly back and forth while pulling it firmly, I was able to dislodge the housing form the clip. After that, the whole housing slid forward and out.

Happy Holidays to all![sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-23-2007, 12:03 PM

Kool. Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll be able to make use of it in the near future. At least once I've got to tackle my 08's headlights.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:56 PM

Some other tips...

Removing the black shroud (cover) that attaches to the top of the front grill (and other points) will enable you to get a good grip on the headlight assembly (from inside behind); making the removal a snap "wiggle and pull."

NOTE: The fasteners on the back edge of the shroud are "Plug" type. Use pliers to "pull up" on the "cap", this relieves pressure on the fastener, allowing you to pull the entire plug out.

I disconnected the main elec. wiring at the "plug." - moved to the workbench.

After removing the black rubber cap, used pliers to twist the bulb assembly to remove it.

Used latex glove on the hand holding the new bulb to eliminate chance of getting hand-oil on bulb.

Entire process took about 30 minutes... bulb cost $14.00.

Same work at the Stealership would have run me $92.00 $29 for bulb (ouch), $52 for labor,and the balance being all the misc "Shop fees" and sales tax.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:51 PM

One other tip I can pass along on headlight replacement is this: put a little grease on the plastic clip when you reinstall the housing, this makes it easier to "slip off" the next time you have to pull out the headlight assembly. It comes out "softly" this way, instead of letting go suddenly.....

Also, try to slide an old T -shirt or something thin under the headlight assembly (try "wedging it") in the gap between the bumper and the headlight assembly. This way you avoid scratching the chrome strip on the bumper when you remove the headlight assembly.