Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Clunking at low speeds and slow turns

Old 08-24-2017, 05:01 PM
Default Clunking at low speeds and slow turns

After replacing the gear assembly (it was stuck in park) and putting new tires on our 2008 Pacifica Limited we went on a road trip this summer.

Drove over a 1000 miles from TX to NC with no problems. However, on our return we heard loud clunking sound from the rear when driving from a stop, turning at low speeds—into or out of parking spots, or turning at stop lights. Also felt hard clicking vibration under foot as if it was hunting for the right gear. At higher speeds it drove fine, so we were able to make it back home.

I took it back to the same shop thinking it was an issue with the gears since we had replaced the shifter assembly. The tire shop said the Rear Differential Carrier Assembly needs to be replaced. They quoted around $2500, but said a transmission shop may be able to do it for less.

Chrysler dealer quoted $3000 for the replacement.

Took it to a transmission shop, they quoted about $1700, but they said it's not normal for the rear differential to go bad like this.

We are getting it fixed, but I'm getting tired of the issues with this vehicle. This vehicle has had two PCM replacements in the past 4-years (took the dealer about 3-months to fix the first time), and a Service Tire System warning that doesn't go away even after replacing all 4 TPMS.

I love the style and features of the Pacifica, but at close to 100K miles and almost no resale value, I wonder if it's worth fixing if another major repair is needed.

Thoughts from other owners?