Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

DIY Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Default DIY Motor Mounts

Looks like the wife's 06 may have the infamous motor mount problem.

Thinking about doing this myself, just wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks. I don't have a cherry picker, so I will probably be supporting the engine from below if that matters.

Any writeups out there on this? I know the generic process, just looking for anything pacifica related.

Thanks!

Old 12-26-2013, 09:59 AM

Travis - There isn't any replies? We are also having this issue, and 2006 hasn't been recalled. Could you kindly direct me to what you found as the best way to DIY? And thank you for the post about the Transmission/alternator...It saved us $1000's!

Old 12-28-2013, 09:25 AM

Going on a slightly faded memory here. But I have changed the "side"/FWD/"doughnut" motor mount on an '05 3.5L. I did have a lift and a tranny jack which obviously helped. I did not remove the radiator, but did remove the top radiator support and fan and shroud. That allows the radiator to pivot forward somewhat. The fan shroud had two bolts and released by sliding towards the right fender and then can be wrestled out the bottom. Must go in from the bottom too. I also did not support the engine from the top. I loosened the motor mount bolt and lifted the engine using the jack until the bolt head cleared the frame. A pro mechanic I talked to after the fact said he might also have loosened the cradle to drop it a bit before pushing the engine away from the cradle with the tranny jack, to more easily gain the required clearance. Removing the mount bolts just took a little perseverance as it involved blind work. Once loose I pulled the whole mount up and out which took a little juggling to get free. Putting it back I worked the mount bracket into place first and then placed the rubber doughnut into it which made the doughnut's bolt easier to thread through the frame. Then reassembled the rest.

The fan shroud was a challenge in and out. You just have to play with it, rotate it etc to work it out of and into place. Something, cardboard etc to protect the radiator vanes might have been a good idea. I didn't screw them up much but thought about that after the fact. If pulling the rad is no biggie for ya it surely is better, and is how Chrysler says to do it.

Anyway, I think this job could be done in the garage with a floor jack, jack stands etc. please safety the lifted engine with wood blocks or something to protect your hands from jack failure while you are working.

This engine moved excessively under load prior to the job. On inspection, the mount had totally failed and torn and was leaking its internal fluid.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:39 PM

Just did mine and only needed the front one.