Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Doors locked while warming up - an ounce of prevention....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Default Doors locked while warming up - an ounce of prevention....

After seven years of ownership, and over 100K miles, I thought I knew all the quirks of my '04 Pac., but this was a new one on me.

I started the car recently, then remembered something I needed to do inside the house. After about 10 minutes, I returned to the car and found it still running, but with all the doors locked. I definitely did not lock them manually before leaving it. Not having a second transponder handy, I called AAA and they came out and unlocked it. The tech. who responded told my wife that Chryslers, from 2002 on, will automatically lock the doors if left running and unattended after a period of time unless you perform some unknown (at least, to me) locking/unlocking ritual. Not wishing to repeat this episode, I went to my local hardware store and had them cut a simple, non-transponder spare key, which I hid in a convenient, but concealed, location on the car. With no chip in it, the key can be only be used to unlock the driver's door, but that's all that's needed. If you haven't already done this, you may want to. It's easily worth the three bucks to avoid this fiasco for the future.