Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

DVD changer stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Default DVD changer stuck

Can anyone tell me how to remove the factory DVD changer so to check it for a stuck DVD? It won't allow me to put in another disk and I can't eject the ones that are in there. When on the external disk, the display will show CD error on the display and the disk light will just flash. You can hear it trying to shuffle the disks, but nothing seems to be happening. Any help appriciated.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Default RE: DVD changer stuck

Unfortuantely the only way you can get the stuck dvds out is by breaking the unit. When we replace these for this problem we send the whole radio assembly or dvd assembly back to the manufacture of it and replace it with a new one. In about 4 to 6 weeks we normally get the discs back. This is the only fix that i know for it.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:40 PM

We'll, got it out and it looks to be fixed. I'll try and walk thru the steps I took to get it out.
1. remove shift ****, there's a set screw on the front of the shift **** that needs to be loosened and the **** will come off.
2. remove the trim piece that covers the shifter. There were no screws, it just snaps in.
3. remove the trim piece around the ignition switch, just get behind it and pull it off.
4. there are two trim pieces on each side of the center console, no screws, they just snap in. I pulled from the bottom and worked my way up. Once those are off, you should see the screws that hold everything in.
5. remove the screws holding the DVD changer in and pull out. There will be some resistance as mine had a rubber bushing in the back that supports the back of the changer.
6. unplug the two wiring harnesses.

You should now have the changer in hand. For my issue, I had to do some more disassembly of the changer to get the disks back in functioning order. Took the front face plate off, several other small screws to where I could see the disks. One of them was not sitting correctly and was jamming the changer. In my case, there was a small gear that I could move back and forth and after several minutes of doing that and rotating the changer, I heard the disk slip back into place and the gears would then move farther than they did before. I was hopeful that this may have fixed it. After reassembly of the changer and putting the console back together, the DVD's were able to be ejected with no problems. Whew, probably saved myself several hundred dollars there in a couple of hours. Hope this helps anyone else out there with similar problem.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:58 PM

Nice going! Nothing like a little patience and ingenuity to fix what otherwise was an "unrepairable" problem if you would have taken it to the dealer. And you would have had to pay them to tell you that.