Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Engine Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Default Engine Knocking

Hey guys in need of some help
I had an oil change done and just put the KN&N air filter in,
this morning I started the car and a fast and semi loud knocking was right under the hood,soI shut the engine off right away and made sure there is oil in there, which there was plenty of it.
Anybody got any idea what could be wrong with it?Or anybody had similar problems?thanks for beeing such agood forum.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Default RE: Engine Knocking

It's probably a cheap oil filter with a poor anti drain back vavle. Stay away from Fram or any of there products. Mine did the same thing at start then went away after a couple of seconds. I swithed to Purolator and it doesn't happen anymore.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:53 AM

yeah i just got an oil change at a good ole jiffy lube......had no time to go to the dealer.....but thanks now i know.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:35 PM

Another good reason not to use IFFY Lube. Always be wondering IF they did it right.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:06 PM

I ususally dont, its just that i was in an area for business and the dealer wasnt an option. I did watch them like a hawk though.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:16 PM

I would also get rid of the K&N air filter. They are CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As a licenced tech for over 25 years[20 with Chrysler] I have seen more engines damaged by the those TYPES of filters. Unless you are bouncing off the rev limiter,you will see zero benifit using that filter.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:35 PM

really i always thought that the easier teh engine can breathe the better it is, air intakes and exhaust is something that i can always justify just for that reason. I dont have any of those things but totally would love to hear a mean sound coming out of the pac,lol.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:53 PM

I have used K&N filters and larger exhaustfor many miles, on different vehicles, and can only report better fuel economy, and a little more "snap" off of idle. I might add I am diligent in maintaining my vehicles, in all areas, including cleaning/oiling the filter.On the other hand, I wouldnever put a K&N on my Cummins due to the horror stories of them getting sucked into the turbo.

Just my experience tho!

Old 06-16-2008, 07:21 AM

well on my eclipse awd turbo I have the injen air intake and it has had a kn&n airfilter for the past 30K miles never had a problem, I clean it every so many thousand miles but i gotta tell you, the easier the car breaths the less strain the engine has.
I am never gunning the pac, kinda pointless, its not ment for getting around quick.

I do cruise at 80mph every day for a bout 110 miles.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:05 AM

I totally agree with you. More air in, more air out = fuel economy/more power... all depends on how you drive. With the miles you are putting on, I would definately go with a high flow air cleaner, and a larger exaust front to back.

If you want more fuel economy, longer longevity for the engine, a quieter engine, easier starting engine, switch to Ams/Oil, or Mobil 1 Synthetic oil, in all driveline components. You will also have longer oil change intervals with these two oils. I might add they cost a little more as well.

Quick Reply: Engine Knocking