Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Front End Growl

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Default Front End Growl

Just got a new pac 08', two days after purchase started hearing a growl from the front end, we looked under the hood at steering pump we dont think that is the problem. A friend sugested a problem with the rack, only has 900 miles.

Got any Ideas?

Thanks

Old 12-08-2008, 06:05 AM
Default RE: Front End Growl

I took my 08 in to the dealer for a whine that had started within the first 1,000 miles. Any movement to the right and it would sound off. Turns out that there was a series of steering gear sets that had a problem with the internal porting. Replaced at no charge in about 2 hours. They had to order the parts. That took 3 weeks.

There was a specific range of dates of production on the steering gear. You should have them check it out.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:17 PM

We took the car to the dealership and the genius mechanic told us it was the power steering fluid low. I know that was not the problem, and sure enough the growl started again within a few days. Plan to take the car back and we shall see what is really wrong. Thanks for the help.

Mike

Old 12-15-2008, 07:23 PM

might be time to find another dealer

Old 12-16-2008, 09:23 AM

ORIGINAL: xfire04

might be time to find another dealer
Yup. If they don't do the research or listen to you, how do they fix the car?

Old 12-17-2008, 12:46 AM

it could have been low i don't know wasn't there. If it was low though i would be thinking where is it going then?

Old 01-08-2009, 09:10 PM

Needs new Rack... and its on back order, who knows when that will be here

Old 01-09-2009, 12:00 AM

Took mine about a month for the part to come in. But that was October 2007.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:33 AM

We have a 2004 Pacifica and on the whole it's been a good car, we brought it owned in 2005 and it had an engine mount that needed fixing (think this was why it was sold) but all in all can't complain. It has about 60k miles on it right now.

...however we have a sound that's more like a whine than a growl, but I want to make sure it's the same thing.

It sounds like it's originating from under the engine, we thought somewhere like the drive train but aren't sure. We can hear the car coming from round the corner as the sound is distinct, but as yet it doesn't appear to have effected the power output, there is a clunk occasionally when it shifts but I'm not 100% that they're related.

This must be a reasonably common problem as we hear other Pacifica's when we're out with the same sound.

Does anyone know if is this could be the same thing as the "series of steering gear sets" that Bandaide mentions, and about how much it will cost to get fixed?

When I find the fix I'm going to print out the problem / solution, keep it in the Pacifica and hand it to other Pacifica owners who have the same noise, to spread the knowledge.

Thanks!

Old 10-09-2009, 09:29 PM
~@~
Default whine/growl

Hi all I had the same whine/growl it sounded like a power steering pump out of fluid. all that it was is the idler pulley bearings wearing out. I replaced the one above and below the belt tensioner and the pulley on the tensioner. they are very inexpensive at autozone and easy to replace. Putting the serpentine belt back on is a bit of a bear though. To get the belt tensioner off requires disconnecting the motor mount closest to it and lifting the engine a slight bit. to gain acces to the lower one remove the wheel and plastic wheel well shroud. I also removed the headlight and air box. takes about hour 1/2 to 3 hours. Hope this helps out

Quick Reply: Front End Growl