Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

HELP!!! 2004 Pacifica stalling & running rough - tried many things already....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Exclamation HELP!!! 2004 Pacifica stalling & running rough - tried many things already....

I bought a 2004 Pacifica a couple months ago and have had a nightmare ever since.... The problem is it stalls out and almost dies on me at lower speeds and even while sitting still idling (it almost never dies though) and this all happens at total random times. I've replaced all the things I know (even more than what the codes are showing) and even taking it to a shop twice they can't find the problem. The current codes that it's throwing is for the O2 sensors (P0032 & P0138), which I've already replaced (with name brand parts). Just to give an idea of all the things I've replaced I started with the spark plugs, EGR valve, Throttle Positioning Sensor, cleaned the throttle body, checked the gas cap, replaced both Fuel Pumps, both O2 sensors, MAP sensor, and checked all the ground connections. This is getting serious and dangerous now because it has stalled out on me while pulling out in traffic. PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 06-03-2014, 03:21 PM

Intake leak? Just a thought.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:38 PM

Interesting thought.....no one has mentioned that. Are you referring to the upper intake manifold or lower? I replaced the upper with a new gasket when I changed out the plugs. How would I check if either one was leaking? I am not a master mechanic....

Old 06-03-2014, 04:02 PM

Could be either, I've heard of guys using propane or starting fluid to find the leak. From what I hear the RPM's will shoot up if it gets into the intake, not sure how safe that is though, for you or the motor. I do know intake leaks will cause all kinds of weird issues, the ECM will try to compensate for it.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:18 PM

Ok, that definitely sounds like a possibility.....but I don't know if it corresponds with how I fix the problem currently. A lot of times when it acts up on me I can put it into neutral, turn the car off and restart and it runs just fine - or I can just put it into neutral and rev it up then back in gear and it clears up. To me it is acting like something electrical, but I really don't know.....

Old 06-04-2014, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

when u replaced the o2 sensors did u use BOSH ones?

Old 06-04-2014, 05:40 AM

Yes, I used Bosh. The car acts the same before and after I replaced them. I have another question though.....in my research someone has mentioned having their PCM reprogrammed after their fuel pumps were replaced, would that make a difference?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

dot se BOST not compatible with chryslers and if there is a recall for the fuel pumps its either software upgrade and or pumps replacement thats only time.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:31 AM

Ok, so you're saying that Bosh sensors aren't any good for Chryslers? I doubt I could take them back to O'Reillys though.... What brand do you recommend?
About the recalls, I called a local Chrysler dealership and had them look up my VIN # and they said mine wasn't a recall for any of the fuel pump issues. However, I still had issues with them and replaced them. I'm just wondering if reprogramming the PCM would help sync up to the new fuel pumps better...dont' know.....

Old 06-04-2014, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

NTK or denzo are OM brand chrysler and no flashing the PCM will not do any good its only for the vin numbers that the recall is assigned to so it would waste you time and money.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! 2004 Pacifica stalling & running rough - tried many things already....