Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Load Leveling System/Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Default Load Leveling System/Rear Shocks

Does anyone know how this system works in general? Is there a pump somewhere in the PACs interior, is the system air or hydraulic and is there a way to test and see if this system is working? I've never noticed or seen my PAC auto level in the rear even when towing.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:29 AM

Hi,
I checked my '05 MX manual and the shock unit is self contained - no pneumatic system (I had an air system on a Ford Windstar). And the remove/replace procedure reads like most normal shocks. The Monroe website lists the rears for an '05 Pacifica with AWD as a 40211 and lists it as a specialty shock. Here is a photo. Pricey. I had not looked at those but cheapest I found was RockAuto at $250 each. I agree that one wonders how you call it "load leveling" without an active system, but in the pickup and SUV world there are a number of shocks that claim load leveling ability. I think perhaps these shocks can just maintain normal height and performance over a wider load range. Some of the light truck load levelers have shock absorber encased in an external spring.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:28 AM

Continuing the discussion: I spoke with a close friend who was educated by and worked many years for GM as an engineer. He said he believed these types of shocks have variable internal valving that allows the shock to increase/decrease its damping rate in response to load, without any external adjustment.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:48 PM

Regarding the load leveling shocks, would there be any adverse consequences for replacing them with regular shocks? Besides, of course, that the ride height would not stay the same when the rear is loaded.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by kinville
Regarding the load leveling shocks, would there be any adverse consequences for replacing them with regular shocks? Besides, of course, that the ride height would not stay the same when the rear is loaded.
No, use the same shock type.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by TNtech
No, use the same shock type.
By this do you mean to use the same shock type as it was originally equipped with; ie the load leveling shocks?

Old 04-14-2011, 10:49 AM

When I bought my 08 Pacifica about two weeks ago, the left side (front and rear) was noticabley lower than the right, by nearly two inches. But it seems to slowly have corrected itself and is even now. Perhaps the load levelling system takes time to adapt.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by kinville
By this do you mean to use the same shock type as it was originally equipped with; ie the load leveling shocks?
Yes, if you want to maintain the same ride quality. Not sure if standard ones will even line up to attache points.

Originally Posted by thatendswell
. Perhaps the load levelling system takes time to adapt.
Yes, about as exciting as watching a turtle race.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:01 PM

Not sure if standard ones will even line up to attache points.
Yes, they will line up, but the standard shocks are too long...an average bump "Bottoms " out the shock and tears up the internals....They will be absolutely useless in a matter of a month.