Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

New key?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Default New key?

My son is buying an 07 Pac that only has 1 key. They only have 1 key to their other car too--a Ford Five Hundred, but it has the key pad on the driver's door. They've locked it up and lost it so many times it's not funny, so I'm thinking another key for the Pac would be a good idea.

Do I have to buy the key fob from the dealer for it to be programmed or can I actually do it myself? My Fords have remote fobs and chipped keys, but you can swap fobs around and program them yourselves. I haven't owned a Chrysler product since 08 so I'm a little rusty on these things.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

the pac more then likely has a chip key and only having one U cant put it in programing mode to program another u need two working keys to do that

Old 12-04-2013, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by thewheelman
My son is buying an 07 Pac that only has 1 key. They only have 1 key to their other car too--a Ford Five Hundred, but it has the key pad on the driver's door. They've locked it up and lost it so many times it's not funny, so I'm thinking another key for the Pac would be a good idea.

Do I have to buy the key fob from the dealer for it to be programmed or can I actually do it myself? My Fords have remote fobs and chipped keys, but you can swap fobs around and program them yourselves. I haven't owned a Chrysler product since 08 so I'm a little rusty on these things.

Thanks in advance!
I live in pa and here we have hardware stores that can do the programming with one key.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

mm not possible inorder for the system to be put into programing mode 2 keys are required. If one could do it then any thief could make a hack key and steel your car then whats the point in having it? Once key can be programed by a dealer or a high powered scanner with the SKIM code handy

Old 12-05-2013, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
mm not possible inorder for the system to be put into programing mode 2 keys are required. If one could do it then any thief could make a hack key and steel your car then whats the point in having it? Once key can be programed by a dealer or a high powered scanner with the SKIM code handy
Oh yes it is. daughter in law has a 2003 ford taurus and i had one made a elery nau hardware store $51.50 and a 2003 jeep cherokee same thing. both work fine.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

jeep Cherokees dont use skim keys grand Cherokees do and Unless they have a scanner that will hook up to the car get the skim code from a dealer program the key while in the car its no possible. They key it self is not the programmable item its a module inside the car that learns the signature of each different key. not the other way around.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
jeep Cherokees dont use skim keys grand Cherokees do and Unless they have a scanner that will hook up to the car get the skim code from a dealer program the key while in the car its no possible. They key it self is not the programmable item its a module inside the car that learns the signature of each different key. not the other way around.
OOPS!!! forgot the grand part.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:46 AM

I recently went thru the same issue. The cheapest route to go is...

1. Search ebay for a compatible transponder key blank for your vehicle and READ THE DESCRIPTIONS CAREFULLY!(I won one for $18)
2. Take your blank and working key to a hardware store that makes keys and get it cut.
!! BE SURE TO TEST THE KEY YOURSELF AFTER IT IS CUT !! (It should start the vehicle for a few seconds then engine will shut off)
3. Take your vehicle to a Chrysler dealer and tell them you need a key programmed to your vehicle. Inform them you ALREADY have a new transponder key that has been cut. (they should charge you around $25)

It to the tech under 3 minutes to do mine while it was parked in from of the dealership AND HE DID NOT HAE ANY SCAN TOOL WITH HIM!!!

My total cost was $38, then I added my 3rd key myself.

I hope this helps and saves someone some $$$ and stress.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

IF U HAVE 2 WORKING KEYS U CAN DO IT YOURSELF. IF U HAVE ONE OR NO WORKING KEYS U NEED A SCANNER TO DO IT. Please don't argue about this matter any more. This system is designed to be an anti theft system. If there was ways to program a key with only one working key then why even waste the time and money for Chrysler to install it?
There is a SKIM key code that only Chrysler parts people have access to when cutting new keys that they are only allowed to give out to certain people AKA techs or service personal on the drive isle to program new keys to the car. The Key code is not accessible by anyone. The Lock smiths can get this info because they pay for it so they can do it but they to need a scanner to talk to the SKIM module to tell it to look for a new key.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by dahobbs
I recently went thru the same issue. The cheapest route to go is...

1. Search ebay for a compatible transponder key blank for your vehicle and READ THE DESCRIPTIONS CAREFULLY!(I won one for $18)
2. Take your blank and working key to a hardware store that makes keys and get it cut.

My total cost was $38, then I added my 3rd key myself.

I hope this helps and saves someone some $$$ and stress.
Some dealers do not like programming keys which were not bought through them. Also I have heard that these keys can be programmed only once and then get married to that vehicle. I have bought few keys from ebay but dealers could not (or would not) program these.

Painless way is to buy key from dealer, they usually throw in the cutting & programming for free.

Quick Reply: New key?