Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

No AWD Function, one damn thing after the other!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Default No AWD Function, one damn thing after the other!

I've suspected since last summer that my wife's '04 awd wasn't, every time it rained it would spin the front tires taking off with a little throttle added. I'm use to GM's automatic 4wd and awd that starts to detect wheelspin and then sends the torque to the other wheels. I hoped that's what her's was doing. No such luck on the lift, no rear wheel engagement, period under any circumstance!
It went to the shop because the hvac decided to ape**** and blow hot air at wide open blower speed all the time, before that it was the liftgate that still sometimes acts up, evap codes that never stay gone, etc, etc... We love the vehicle's ride, performance, handling and mpg but the the little crap keeps you wondering all the time, what's next?

Old 10-25-2011, 07:54 PM

The 2004 Pacifica was the first year run of that car. Plagued with stupid problems. May be time to move on.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:57 AM

The Dodge trucks have been decent, I've owned 5 in the last 20 years, but the damn cars suck! Going back to my wife's '78 Magnum GT that she just had to have, stayed in the shop so much we nearly forgot what color it was! We've tried a couple more since, same results, little nit picky bs that just drives you crazy. So far this one has the usual evap problems, emissions pump noise, oil usage, awd quit, liftgate problems, HVAC control module, seat heaters, windows, mirrors and pedal controls quit due to shorted seat module, etc..., all in the last 5 months. It'll be back to GM after this.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:34 AM

TBH, I don't like Pacificas and never have no matter what year model. The newer ones were decent, way better than 04 and 05. Maybe look around at minivans.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:46 PM

I just got an 07 Hate to read all this

Old 10-28-2011, 08:24 PM

We did the minivan thing for 15 years. Probably end with an Acadia or SRX.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:37 AM

I've driven an Acadia, like them ok.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:07 PM

did you ever find out what the problem was with the AWD issue?

Old 11-18-2011, 05:57 AM

Not yet. We're building a house and unless it dies it aunt getting much attention until that's done. I'll keep you posted when we do.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:51 AM

I have read Chrysler info on the AWD system - I have a set of factory manuals, and I believe we share the same basic understanding that we essentially have FWD vehicles. Through sensed slippage etc. the PTU (front) and rear carrier should send additional torque to the rear wheels. As this video shows however, the effectiveness, usefulness and capability of an AWD system greatly varies. I think many people view 4WD and AWD as essentially the same. They are not. For what it is worth I think our PAC's would perform poorly in a test similar to that on the video. I think you will find most "mainstream" AWD vehicles are designed as such primarily for handling (oversteer/understeer etc) versus increased poor weather traction. Think of the Audi Quattro.

Quick Reply: No AWD Function, one damn thing after the other!