Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

No Heat; Blower Works

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Default No Heat; Blower Works

'05 Pacifica. Blower fan works fine, but there is no heat. The thermostat is the climate control/separate passenger/driver control. The car is in St. Louis for a week while I'm in Chicago, but the wife is threatening to take it to the dealer. Why no heat? Could low antifreeze level cause this? Or a fuse? Or a relay? Or a water pump? Wild guesses I know. Any ideas/answers much appreciated.

Weekend Wrench

Old 02-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

yes check coolant level first

Old 02-06-2010, 07:33 PM

Thanks Kevin. My brother-in-law is going to check and fill the antifreeze, then run the car and check the heat. He's also going to monitor for antifreeze leakage. It makes sense. When my sister-in-law drove it back from the airport (my wife is flying my in-laws to Florida for a week (they're in their 90's)) the car temp gauge went to red, then settled into normal range. I will report back after tomorrow. Now, if it's low antifreeze, let's hope it's an external leak...

Old 02-07-2010, 12:42 PM

OK, took about 3/4 of a bottle of antifreeze. My brother in law took the car out for a drive and the temperature gauge held steady and normal operating range. However, still no heat. Is there a switch/pcm that controls the heater core operation? Anything else that needs to be checked? Could there be a fuse blown that controls the heater core? Blower fans work fine, but no heat. Thanks.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

a heater core is a peace of metal that coolant goes through there is nothing that moves on a heater core. are both of the heater core lines that go into the fire wall hot to where u cant hold them?

Old 02-08-2010, 05:00 PM

Kevin,

The mechanic states that it's the water pump. Make sense? $766. That's alot of money. What do you think?

Thanks,

Skip (Weekend Wrench)

Old 02-08-2010, 05:01 PM

Also recommending thermostat - $90.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:56 PM

Skip,
Just what does he say is wrong with it? If the impeller broke off (spun free) maybe, but I would think you would be having overheat problems if there were no water movement. 3/4 of a bottle is quite a bit to add and you say the temp is now OK. Is there a leak? As Ctech says feel both lines and see if they are hot while the car is warmed up.

Does the A/C work? I ask so we can check for controller problems.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:49 PM

Flat nonsense... mrfixit454 is right. If there were no water movement in the cooling system you would be having overheat problems (especialy if you drive in the city).

Old 02-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

take it to some one else that is not guessing a water pump will not cause what U have by itself the car would over heat as well.

Quick Reply: No Heat; Blower Works