Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Noise when rear window down

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 01:13 PM
Default Noise when rear window down

Just bought a preowned 2004 Chrysler Pacifica and LOVE it so far. One issue...horrendous noise from the rear of the car when the rear windows are down. Starts out like the tic-tic-tic when you get a rock stuck in your tire, but grows gradually louder until it sounds like a helicopter inside the car. Becomes a deafening noise so that I can no longer hear the radio (nor my screaming two year old in the back) and results in "popping" of the ears when I roll the window up. Does not occur if I have the front windows down at the same time.

I am going to call my dealer but wondered if anyone else has ever experienced this? Is it the tires or some sort of wierd "pressure" thing?

Old 10-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Default RE: Noise when rear window down

Hi I have the same problem with my 2005 pacifica. In the manual its called wind buffetting and stops when you open the front window. I guess its is a design fault that you dont find out about untill you buy the car. I still love my pacifica though. But then I dont have kids any more.
danny

Old 10-28-2006, 01:04 AM

I had the same year and mine did the same thing I thought it was a pressure thing..................

Old 10-28-2006, 01:06 AM

And I hated my pacifica it had so many problems, beware it was full of them...............beautiful car but lots of problems.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:50 PM

Has anyone installed side window visors and seen any effect on the buffetting?

Old 05-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

the buffering is the unequal pressure from inside the cabin to the pressure outside the cabin. When the windows are open most of the air is sucked outside and u have less pressure inside and the air wants to make it equal so u have the buffer when air outside is trying to get inside. Just like a balloon,outside pressure is higher then inside so pressures want to be equal. ALL cars do this to some extent try it lower the rear windows untill it happens when the aire pressures are not the same. Granted some cars are much worse the pac is one the jeep libertys ,commanders, old LH cars its not just pac.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:21 AM
TEF

I agree. This has happened on every car I've ever owned. It's normal.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:59 AM

You get the same kind of thing with the sun roof open all the way. If you close it half way it stops! It is a pressure thing for sure. I also wonder if those window visors help any?

Old 05-14-2007, 02:24 PM

Hi,

I get the same kind of buffeting in my car too and its documented in the Pacifica manual. Its not so noticeable in city driving, but can get really bad at highway speeds.

Just be sure to keep the front windows and back windows down together, and keep the roof in the default position that it goes to during auto-open and the noise will be tolerable. I'm not sure if window and roof deflectors will help; I think they spoil the looks of the car anyway.

Thanks and regards,
Jagan.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:49 AM
Default Noise with visors

Have the same issue and bought visors for windows. Visors do allow you to crack windows but if they open just a little bit below the visor edge the buffeting starts again. It is a normal noise and happens in my crew cab dodge also.

Quick Reply: Noise when rear window down