Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Possibly stupid coolant question - forgive me

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Default Possibly stupid coolant question - forgive me

All,

Been a solid GM owner for as long as I've been driving, until we purchased a 2006 Pacifica with 29K last summer. I know GM cars and their quirks, issues, and nuances, but am clueless when it comes to other manufacturers.

The car has been running fine, no MILs illuminated, but was checking under the hood today and noticed the coolant could use topping off.

I see the coolant is pink so here's my question: can I use Dex-Cool [GM] coolant to top off as they look to be similar (I understand chemical compositions may be different, which is why I'm asking)?? If not, what are your thoughts on topping off with the "universal" coolant?? If neither of them, any particular recommendations?

Thanks!

Old 03-10-2010, 07:28 PM

First off Welcome!

No stupid questions here.. you are actually asking a good one because these days manufactures have changed things up. For the Pacifica, you need a HOAT (Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) type coolant, do not use Propylene Glycol coolants. Hopefully the original is in there. Use a 50/50 mix and distilled water to mix according to the owners manual . You can download the manual for free at Chrysler.com if you don't have one.

Hope this helps!

Fixit

Old 03-11-2010, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by mrfixit454
First off Welcome!

No stupid questions here.. you are actually asking a good one because these days manufactures have changed things up. For the Pacifica, you need a HOAT (Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) type coolant, do not use Propylene Glycol coolants. Hopefully the original is in there. Use a 50/50 mix and distilled water to mix according to the owners manual . You can download the manual for free at Chrysler.com if you don't have one.

Hope this helps!

Fixit
Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!