Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Question about the old HID recall

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Default Question about the old HID recall

I have a 2005 Pacifica with the HID headlights.

I purchased the vehicle used and seemed like it had no problems.. I later discovered it has one.

On cold nights (or mornings), I have extreme difficulties getting the headlights to function. Now mind you, the regular highbeam bulbs work fine.

If it's cold they sometimes flicker (strobe) and more often than not one of them will eventually turn off. This is, assuming, they both didn't turn off the second I turn them on.

Oddly enough, with the car off they work 100%. Once I start the car, is when it begins to flicker. I have also noticed I can trigger a similar flicker by playing with my window buttons, so I know it's electrical.

What exactly was the issue with the wiring harness? The dealer has told me my vehicle was not part of the issue.. however it seems to me like it is.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:46 PM
moe
Default RE: Question about the old HID recall

i would be looking for a ground problem,somewhere on the engine.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Default RE: Question about the old HID recall

For me it looks like the car used to have regular headlights and a previous owner replaced them with HID headlights.
The problem with this swap is that you also have to replace your PCM (power control module). If you don't do that your lights might work fine in hot weather but once temperature drop it would be next to impossible to ignite them. Trust me, I've been there. I had to spend 15-20 min a few times flicking the light switch on and off so the damn light would ignite and I could go back home. After that I put my old lights back on and I've been happy ever since
If you really have to have HID lamps and don't feel like spending about $600 for new PCM + the cost ofprograming it at dealership, you can perhaps add a relay, so your HID lights will get more "juice".