Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Remove & Replace Lower Radiator Hose - pls help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 05:56 PM
Default Remove & Replace Lower Radiator Hose - pls help!

I must be missing something about replacing the lower radiator hose. It looks impossible without removing power steering pump, air conditioning compressor, perhaps the radiator fans. This seems pretty unusual for a routine service like a hose. I want to change my hose out since I'm doing a complete service (timing belt, water pump, etc.) @ 130k.

Does anyone have any tricks? I don't want to go in blindly and remove more stuff than I have to. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-25-2018, 09:23 AM

It is actually not all that difficult to replace the lower radiator hoe. Simply:
1) remove the upper, flat plastic cover over the radiator and remove the upper radiator support that stretches across the radiator and that include the hood latch. Set it aside.
2) Remove the fan assembly. There are two small bolts toward the top, one is under the upper radiator hose. Loosen upper radiator hose to access bolt. Lift out fan assembly.
3) From there you can easily remove lower hose.
Pro-Tip #235 - The Coolant Inlet on the engine is made of steel. The block is aluminum. Over time/miles the Inlet will corrode and fail. If you have coolant seepage after you change the Lower Hose the Inlet is most likely the issue. Getting the PN fr Chrysler and actually finding a Inlet can be difficult. There are no aftermarket Inlets avail.
Pro-Tip #197 - When accessing Timing Belt for the first time, you will find a Timing Cover bolt under power steering pulley. You may have to move Power steering pump out of way to access Cover bolt. When replacing Cover, never re-install said Timing Cover bolt.

Last edited by djetelina; 06-27-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:09 PM

Agree with ^^, remove your fan assembly first, then even a big guy like me can get his arms in there to remove the hose. Definitely recommend hose clamp pliers, and reuse the spring clamps if you can.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the help fellas. I removed the fan assembly and was able to sneak my hands in there enough to grab the hose clamp with regular slip-jaw pliers. Just barely! Putting the new hose on there was slightly easier. This car is a real gem for maintenance in some ways, a real bear in others. I pity the guy that has to replace a starter on the 4.0L