Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Soft suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Default Soft suspension?

Hey all-

I have had my 05- Pacifica touring for about 3 yrs now. I have always noticed that it seems to have a rather soft front end feel to the suspension.

We were on our way home the other day on the fwy and there is a particular area of the hwy that slopes, and the front end felt like we had hydrolics LOL!

I have been wanting to add aftermarket wheels and lowere it anyways. Anyone have this problem or know if eibach springs would maybe stiffen it up a bit?

Thanks.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:46 PM

check springs and replace shocks

Old 05-06-2009, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by dusty-schaffner
check springs and replace shocks
Thanks alot dusty.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:22 PM

I have a 2005 that has a soft suspension or what I call "body roll." I am taking the car to my mechanic this week. I checked into the price of struts and shocks. The price of the struts were normal at $91 each. The rear has a special system in which each of the "shocks?" were $343 each. I am hoping that it is not the rear shocks, but knowing my luck.

Got to do something because this is getting serious.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:42 PM

Well, I encountered same problems as what you have experienced. What I did was that I hired a local mechanic to check my suspension and he advised me to buy a new one. He added up some other parts and as an end result, my car turned out to have a really great suspension.

Last edited by Brandon Paul; 09-28-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:14 PM

Yes there are shocks in the rear and they do cost 350ish each. This sucks! My front end also has this soft feel and my struts are about a year old. thinkin' about changing the springs up front also.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:49 PM
~@~

Same issue on my 2005. Front struts are next on my list but it seems that it doesn't fix it? are new springs needed too? what has been done out there to stiffen it up?

Old 10-17-2009, 11:45 PM

I've got an 05 all wheel drive. I use mine to tow my track car on a dolly to my racing events. I also experience a pretty soft suspension. Nothing wrong with the suspension other than it's designed kind of soft. All of my other cars are sports cars with very stiff suspensions. I also have a Subaru Outback, it has a pretty tight suspension for a wagon. I am most comfortable driving vehicles with tight suspensions. I too will be looking to stiffen the Pacifica's suspension. Does anyone have any specific changes they made? Are they happy with the end result? What was the cost?

Old 10-29-2009, 10:27 AM

well have never been encountered with such type of problem....but thanks for the solution of this kind of problem....

Old 11-24-2009, 06:44 PM
~@~
Default replaced struts no more rattle

So I replaced my front struts and discovered how important it is to have the special tool. The normal practice of just hammerin on the strut piston nut with an impact doesn't work on the pacifica. the piston will just spin and nut will not torque down all the way. resulting in thread damage on the piston and a rattle goin over bumps at low speeds. after no luck finding the tool in the area I improvised. I cut flats onto a deep well 21mm socket to accept a 3/4" open end wrench. Then I slide a 1/4" drive extension through the backside of the 21mm and attached 1/4" drive 10mm to the extension. I then used a breaker bar to hold the 1/4" ext stationary while i torqued on the 21 mm. I used my Dremel with a reinforced cut off wheel to make the flats at the top. old struts threads were torn to hell from them not being torqued properly on previous installation prior to my purchase. stiffened up the ride except for hard braking then it dives moderately. pictures of the tool to follow. try this out before replacing the lower control arms for the mysterious rattle.

Quick Reply: Soft suspension?