Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Sticky Gas Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Question Sticky Gas Pedal

05 Touring AWD 3.5L
When driving or just starting out from idle, it seems to take an abnormal amount of pedal pressure to get it to move. Once you get to the 'break over' point, the amount of pressure seems normal. Checked out the linkage at the engine side - cables don't seem kinked or dirty. I have tried silicone spray on the cable, doesn't seem to fix it.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

clean your throttle body

Old 04-21-2011, 09:43 PM

Would that fix the binding? The throttle response once you get it over the hump seems fine.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:01 PM

Would that fix the binding? The throttle response once you get it over the hump seems fine.
Remove the cables...and work the throttle by hand....You will notice that the sticking is not in the cables, or the pedal assembly, but rather out undr the hood at the throttle body lever.

Now..pop the air cleaner off...and look inside the throat..see all that brown/black TAR? that is what is binding your throttle. once the plate passes the GUNK, it will operate fine.....

Carb cleaner, throttle body or Air induction cleaner , or even Brake parts cleaner, can be used with an Old Toothbrush .(Trust me, I say old , because you arent going to want it back after this.. ) and you'll be good to go.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:01 PM

You called it. Once I pulled the air cleaner off I could see exactly what you were talking about. I had to go through it twice to get all the goo out of there.

Again, great call, thanks

Old 04-25-2011, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the tip Gentlemen.

We had just started experiencing the issue intermittently. I used brake cleaner sprayed onto clean paper towels and gently cleaned the throttle bore and the throttle plate edges. Everything moves very freely now.

A DIY travel tip: I used a 24" length of 1X2 between the front edge of the driver's seat and the accelerator to hold the throttle wide open for easy cleaning.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:05 PM

I have cleaned mine three or four times now and it still seems sticky. Is there a gasket between the throttle body and the intake? I was thinking of removing it to clean the back side of the plate. I don't want to take it off if I don't have a new gasket to replace the old one. Very tough to see up inside to make sure I got it clean enough.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:17 PM

maybe the other end of the cable or throttle body is getting stuck

Old 05-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

dude are u dense as a brick? just about every single post U have made is basically irrelevant to anything that was the original post being made one more BS post and U are banned for stupidity

Old 05-08-2011, 11:52 AM

I know its not the spring or cable. Just wanting to know if there is a gasket behind the throttle body, so i can clean the inside better. Hey Chrysler tech can you answer that?

Quick Reply: Sticky Gas Pedal