Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Stop the rust on your Pacifica!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Default Stop the rust on your Pacifica!

Just gave my Pacifica its spring wax job. I noticed some rust underneath the "chrome" plastic trim on the rear lift gate. I pulled off the four screws and . . . what a mess! There was surface rust on top of the paint the entire length of the trim. Luckily it cleaned off with some cleaner wax without harming the paint. I put another layer of wax (did not wipe) and put the trim back on. I will need to remember to pull that trim off for now on. Now I understand why I see Chrysler mini-vans with rust all over their lift gates.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Default RE: Stop the rust on your Pacifica!

A decent solution for this is 3M double sided tape. Your wax will help protect the surface rust, but the chrome moulding will wear through in no time. Remove the moulding and put some 1/4inch 3M double sided tape on the edges that meet the gateto help cushion the hard edges of the chrome.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-21-2008, 07:50 AM

When I was doing my radio install I had parts of the dash off and noticed that the whole dash cradle has rust spots throughout. My Pac is a '05 with under 30K and is mostly garaged!

Old 04-21-2008, 05:35 PM

You shouldn't have that type of rust. I would check under the dash and the seat bases as well. It depends on your climate (eg: close to the ocean)for that type of rust,.... or you have a water leak and there is excessive moisture in the cabin.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:29 PM

No leak or moisture is noticeable. The car is clean. We did buy it used with 12,500 miles on it and it looked new. The CarFax was clean and it seemed like the car was a lease return. We don't live near the ocean or any type of water. Has anyone taken off the side pieces which are right next to the door? This is where I saw all the rust and I only took off the driver's side so I'm not sure what the other side looks like. Maybe the door window was left open in the rain with the previous owner? I don't know but I was sure pissed when I saw it.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:38 PM

Would it be possible to get some pics? and maybe some pics of the engine bay as well?

Old 04-23-2008, 05:58 PM

Here is a picture of mine. [:@]More freakin rust! I have owned the car since it was new. I wonder if it had rust off the assembly line?

Old 04-23-2008, 06:10 PM

Mine appears just as your picture. I suspect they use cheap high carbon steel that rusts easily.

My Pac did come out of Florida so I suspect the humidity was high for the first year of its' life.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:03 AM

It looks like you took a picture of mine! I would imagine, since it seems like we all have it, that they used substandard metal and thought it wouldn't make a difference since it's inside and hidden. Well, I wonder how long it will take before the whole dash collapses? Not built to last!

Old 04-24-2008, 06:17 PM

The steel is not sub-standard. It is basic cold steel. ALL vehicles have this steel in the interior.A search at ajunkyard will show you all makes and models are the same, or work in the autobody industry for 20 years or so, and you will see the same.

Afirst year in a humid climatecould give results that you have pictured. I would look under the seats and see if it is under there too. If it isn't, then I would say there is something else wrong.

Any pics of under the hood? I can tell more from there.

Quick Reply: Stop the rust on your Pacifica!