Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Surging Idle and speedometer showing speed when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Default Surging Idle and speedometer showing speed when stopped

2006 pacifica touring, 80k miles.

Had a weird issue yesterday.

When stopped - either in P or Drive with foot on brake, the engine idles high, like around 1k, and bounces up to 1200 or 1500 rpm. Car feels like it is straining against the brakes. At the same time, the speedo will read 10-20mph while sitting still. Also, there is a loud howling noise from the engine compartment (passengers side), and the speedometer.

All of these conditions go away when you drive away from the stoplight.

Wife had these issues yesterday, and drove the car probably 10 miles like this. I picked the car up today, and confirmed the issue. Took it to autozone and they read code P0700, which is a generic transmission code, we have not pulled codes from the trans computer yet.

I drove the car about 5 miles, stopped, put gas in it and drove it another 2-3 miles and the condition completely cleared up and now the car is driving normally.

Any ideas? TPS, IAC?

Old 02-15-2011, 06:52 PM

HAve the trans codes pulled....

Pet Peeve Time.......There is Nothing GENERIC about a 700 code, except that it is the only trans Failure notification that PCM KNOWS how to display.

700 Simply means that there is a Trouble code stored in TCM.........

That "T" code must be pulled and addressed before any othe diagnosis or repair is attempted.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:46 PM

Hit autozone again on the way home and the 0700 code was gone.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:51 PM

It is still essential to have the trans codes read................

Old 02-17-2011, 04:02 PM

For future reference, we think this was a speed sensor - there was a code for it stored in the transmission computer. I will update the thread if this turns out not to be the root cause.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:22 PM

the identical thing happened to me today when i was at a stop light.. Did yours ever come back.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:01 PM

Here is another thread that details the resolution.

https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...esolved-15556/

Old 07-19-2012, 04:20 PM

thanks. Im going to get it tested and hopefully thats the problem. I was getting a sqweeling noise from that area under the hood. I thought it was the powersteering but the alternator makes more sence. the problem is gone now but im not taking any chances.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Default Pacifica Speedometer Moving at ilde or in park (FIXED)

I am experiencing a surge of the speedometer while card is idle or in park. Because of the surge with the speedometer the transmission was shifting into 2nd gear and the motor mount broke. Check engine light on. I was throwing code P0700 and P0720 on my 06 pacifica naturally we replaced both speed sensors.

However, the problem did not go away. After redading the forum I had my alternator tested. It was not giving enough voltage.

Replaced alternator and now there is no surge. Car shifts normally. Just need to do the motor mount.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:07 PM

This is happening on my Pacifica but only when the head lights, heater or wipers are in use. I am glad the I read your post, going to have the alternator check tomorrow.

I have taken my vehicle to AAMCO for troubleshooting and they told me that two engine mounts needed to be replace and the output speed sensor for only $912.00. I did it my self for the cost of the part and the problem remain, I am glad I did not paid a Penney to AAMCO. I hope that your fix work for me. Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Surging Idle and speedometer showing speed when stopped