Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Thinking About Buying a Pac

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Default Thinking About Buying a Pac

Hi, new to the forums. I need some advice on a purchase of a Pac....

here are the specs of the Pac in question:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica, Good Condition

Cash Price: $6,500

Mileage: 53,975
Body Style: Sedan> Exterior Color: Blue
Interior Color: Gray
Engine: 6 Cylinders
Transmission: Auto Transmission
Drivetrain: FWD

The Price is 6500 but i can talk the guy to maybe 6000.00

Here are a few pics:

I wanna jump on this like a fat kid jumps on hot cakes.... the guy emailed me the Car Fax report and it's spotless.....

I'm going to look at the car tomorrow, what should i look out for i this vehicle to see if anything is wrong.... please advice, i dont; wanna make a huge mistake....

Old 01-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Default RE: Thinking About Buying a Pac

Wow, that seems like a REALLY good price from what I've seen shopping around on autotrader.com lately. Not being a Pac owner yet myself, I don't really know what you should check as far as potential Chrysler faults. But in general, drive it across all speeds and road conditions that you can - watch the temperature and oil pressure to make sure they are consistent, listen and feel for any noises or vibrations that shouldn't be there. Get all the maintenance records and history you can from the current owner.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:58 PM

Just read through the forums here & see what the major issues are is all you can do. Start here..

https://www.chryslerforum.com/m_21903/tm.htm

This is a major issue on some models & you should be aware of it upfront.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:23 AM

From those reports, the Pacifica engines certainly do seem to consume more oil than normal. It's hard to tell if that's one engine over the other, because many posters do not say which engine they have. However it seems like fixing that problem isn't any harder than regularly checking oil levels and adding oil if needed. All the problems and major repairs in those threads sounded like they resulted from folks driving their Pacifica's with little or no oil for extended periods of time. I realize they were doing so out of ignorance, but if you KNOW you need to check the oil and add often then I don't really see it as a major issue. It is strange that the car apparently has no "low oil" sensors or alarms.

Keep in mind too that most of the time, the only threads you will read on car forums are negative or "problem" threads. The owners that have no problems rarely share that online (although one poster did here recently), so it may give a false impression that the Pacifica (or any car you research online) will have major problems.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:51 AM

The Pacifica is a very good traveling car, with a good set of tires does real good in snow, we've
had a great deal of snow here in northern Illinois and pulls right through it. I have an 04 and have had a lot of front end problems all fixed under warranty 04' was the first year for the Pacifica so an 05' may not have those problems that is a great price do your research on the forum and any problems for the 05'.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:00 PM

From what I have read, it had to do with some engine rings on certain model in a certain time period between 2004-2006. It will use on average 1 quart of oil every 800 miles, which in todays world is WAY too much. But, as you point out, it will not damage the engine UNLESS you don't check it often & respond. I love mine to death, so I put up with checking the oil every 2 weeks or 1000 miles, whatever comes 1st. But I didn't know this issue until AFTER I bought the car. I was upset, myself for about 1 week, until I thought about what a great deal I got on it in the first place, so it was worth the headache. I really liked the car, but grew to just LOVE it through the weeks, especailly in the winter. We have had a record snowfall this year in Northern Michigan & the car goes through everything with ease & the ride is unreal from my 1999 Durango. Sounds like the OP has found a good deal to me, reguardless of oil issuses or not..

Old 01-25-2009, 10:33 PM

I also own a 2005 pacifica limited (awesome car)fully loaded and have the same oil issue. I guess i am a little more fortunate as I only lose 1 quart between oil changes with no explination and no visible leaks. After 50,000 miles, the ASB light comes on intermittantly as well as the Low Tire indicator. More recently the Air bag light has come on while driving.We did have to replace the Idle control valve ($125.00 installed myself)at 53,000 miles as it started to surge(cut out)while on the freeway and act like it was going to die. The only other "surprise" to us was when we had to put on new tires, we found out they are 19" corvette tires and cost $1000.00 to replace.

Other than these issues, it is a great car. [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 01-26-2009, 06:38 AM

I have a 2006 Pacifica FWD. It is horrible in the snow (Michigan), but I still love it. Maybe I will get some new tires next winter. Or maybe I am spoiled, because my only other cars have been Grand Prixs that have done awesome in the snow. Anyways, I love my pacifica. I am tall, so it is perfect on head room. I was actually too tall for the fancy model with the leather interior and sunroof. The sunroof is a little lower than the actual roof and it hit my head when I was test driving it.
Name:  pac2.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  108.6 KB
You can see my old grand prix in the back lol.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:48 PM

Nice Pacifica jzabi0079 ditch the Michelin's and go with some thing else and you will enjoy your ride much better I have good year assurance good for 65000 miles very nice and good grip in the winter (Illinois). I had a 02 Grand Prix that was awful in the snow and the traction control was not worth a crap, although I did have a 94 Grand Prix GTP in the past and traction was a lot better than these newer cars.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:53 PM

Nice looking car and the price seems right. I personnally would not buy it,as it is a very base model. Hub caps,3.8L pushrod engine,basic cluster and cloth seats. Do yourself a favour and take a look at one that has a few more toys[ a "Touring" model perhaps] and you will see why it is priced so low. The 3.5L is a bullet proof engine. I have work as a tech for a large metro Chrysler dealer for 20 years and have only seen ONE 3.5 fail. The oil was not changed for over 2 years and the crank bearings failed.

Quick Reply: Thinking About Buying a Pac