Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Timing belt replaced

  #1  
Old 11-27-2018, 12:03 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2
Default Timing belt replaced

I had a timing belt break on my 2006 chrysler pacifica 3.5L. After replacing the timing belt and water pump, the car runs like crap. It throws codes p0068 and p0113. It's hard to start and won't hold and idle. If u give it a little gas it will smooth out and run ok but once u let off it stalls. Also if u unplug vacuum lines it will idle higher and stay running. Is this a sign of bent valves or did I hook something up wrong? Timing is correct as I have checked it 3 times. Replaced some sensors as well.
 
  #2  
Old 11-27-2018, 01:40 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Western NY
Posts: 780
Default

The 3.5 IS an interference design motor..sounds to me like a bent valve. Time to have a compression test done to be sure all cylinders are good or which ones are low to know for sure.
 
  #3  
Old 11-27-2018, 07:27 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Somerset N.J.
Posts: 391
Default

X2 on the compression test, odds on bet broken belt = bent valves. Well documented issue over at the 300M club site.
 
  #4  
Old 11-27-2018, 09:41 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2
Default Would it still run

I'm getting the compression tester tomorrow but would it still run with bent valves? There's no ticking sounds when running.
 
  #5  
Old 12-11-2018, 05:39 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 38
Default

A side question, how many miles were on your Pacifica when the belt broke?

Curious, I have 98K on my 2005, trying to decide if/when to change it or have it changed.
 
  #6  
Old 12-12-2018, 02:01 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 267
Default

Originally Posted by Longs View Post
A side question, how many miles were on your Pacifica when the belt broke?

Curious, I have 98K on my 2005, trying to decide if/when to change it or have it changed.
Change it NOW!!!
The belt replacement interval is 100,000 miles, OR 7 years, whichever comes first.
You are way past due for a timing belt change.
 
  #7  
Old 12-12-2018, 06:36 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 19
Default

My 05 is now at 112k, so well past due as well. To me why put $800 give or take into a $2000 car at this point. I'll take my chances and know a few that have lasted over 200k miles. If it goes, so does the car, disappointing but the rust will get it anyway.

Originally Posted by BiliTheAxe View Post
Change it NOW!!!
The belt replacement interval is 100,000 miles, OR 7 years, whichever comes first.
You are way past due for a timing belt change.
 
  #8  
Old 12-12-2018, 07:00 PM
djetelina's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 80
Default

Originally Posted by brian3 View Post
My 05 is now at 112k, so well past due as well. To me why put $800 give or take into a $2000 car at this point. I'll take my chances and know a few that have lasted over 200k miles. If it goes, so does the car, disappointing but the rust will get it anyway.
Have 315,000 miles on mine, the 3.5 engine/trans still running strong. Change timing belt assembly every 110k, replace the whole kit and caboodle myself for less than $200 in parts each time.
 
  #9  
Old 12-12-2018, 07:30 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 267
Default

Originally Posted by djetelina View Post
Have 315,000 miles on mine, the 3.5 engine/trans still running strong. Change timing belt assembly every 110k, replace the whole kit and caboodle myself for less than $200 in parts each time.
That was what I paid for the parts to do the timing on my 3.5 liter Intrepid, and it is still running strong.
I sold it to a friend, and it got caught in a flood, but it still runs.
 
  #10  
Old 12-14-2018, 09:34 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 25
Default

The timing belt on the 3.5L/4.0L engine is ridiculously easy to change so far as timing belts go. I did mine in at most 3-4 hours taking my time, and replaced the water pump, tensioners & idler pulley while I was in there for under $200.

I wouldn't be terribly concerned about age, but don't expect it to last 200k being that old. The original I pulled off my 2007 with 130k (I just did it this summer) looked great, had lots of life left in it. Either way, I'd still do it as soon as you can, I don't like to gamble with ruining an otherwise good engine.

Just because the belt might go to 200k, there's other components in there that can fail if not replaced and have the same end result-- if the idler pulley starts to go, it'll take the belt with it.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing belt replaced


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.