Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Timing Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

a manual is a book not a computer

Old 01-23-2011, 07:06 AM
~@~

http://www.alldata.com/ This is an awesome online resource I use with step by step guides. retailmenot.com has discount codes. Yes had to remove all but the far aft pulley. will need a puller for the crank pulley (harmonic balancer) timing belt and water pump is behind the plate the pulley's attach to. Always a great idea to replace the water pump while in there good insurance. no sense in going through all the hassle to do it later on.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:17 AM
~@~

also ended up replacing the accessory belt pulley's. pulling them off disturbed the bearings and they started groaning something awful. they were like 5 bucks a piece at autozone

Old 01-05-2012, 09:04 AM

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks to keeping the marks lined up and the camshafts from moving when replacing timing belt on pacifica. I did as the alldata manual stated(loosened the rocker arms) and everytime I started to screw in the the tensioner and when it was tight the left(nearest cab) moved a tooth. I tried everything from advancing one tooth to tighening the rocker arms and after six hrs I gave up and had it towed to a garage. I have worked on my own vehicles for 16yrs or more and have done all kinds of repairs including replacing an engine and never have had to do this? any suggestions of what I was doing wrong?

Old 03-01-2012, 12:03 PM

Hi, i own a 300 touring... how did you locked the crankshaft pulley to remove the bolt?
Is 3.5l a freewheel engine? did you needed specific tools for chrysler 3.5 engine?
thanks!

Old 03-01-2012, 05:03 PM

You'll need a vice to compress the tensioner prior to re-installing and a pin to lock it in place until you get it mounted. Something about the thickness of a paperclip but more rigid. I don't remove the harmonic balancer, but some people do. It's a low profile puller like this one >>http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/pr...DAMPER-PULLER/ Other than that, it's pretty straighforward. Go ahead and do the water pump while you're in there.

TIMING BELT

CAUTION: If camshafts have moved from the timing marks, always rotate camshaft towards the direction nearest to the timing marks (DO NOT TURN CAMSHAFTS A FULL REVOLUTION OR DAMAGE to valves and/or pistons could result).

1 - RIGHT CAMSHAFT GEAR ALIGNMENT MARK 7 - LEFT CAMSHAFT GEAR 2 - RIGHT CAMSHAFT GEAR 8 - LEFT CAMSHAFT GEAR ALIGNMENT MARK 3 - CYLINDER HEAD TO INNER TIMING BELT COVER BOLTS - RIGHT 9 - CRANKSHAFT GEAR ALIGNMENT MARK 4 - TIMING BELT 10 - CRANKSHAFT GEAR 5 - WATER PUMP PULLEY 11 - TIMING BELT TENSIONER PULLEY 6 - CYLINDER HEAD TO INNER TIMING BELT COVER BOLTS - LEFT 12 - TIMING BELT TENSIONER
  1. Align the crankshaft sprocket (10) (TIMING GEAR ALIGNMENT) with the TDC mark (9) on oil pump cover.
  2. Align the camshaft sprockets (2, 7) timing reference marks (1, 8) with the marks on the rear cover.
  3. Install the timing belt starting at the crankshaft sprocket (10) going in a counterclockwise direction. Install the belt around the last sprocket. Maintain tension on the belt as it is positioned around the tensioner pulley (11). NOTE: If the camshaft gears have been removed it is only necessary to have the camshaft gear retaining bolts installed to a snug torque at this time.
  4. Holding the tensioner pulley (11) against the belt, install the tensioner into the housing and tighten to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.). Each camshaft sprocket mark should remain aligned the cover marks.
  5. When tensioner is in place pull retaining pin to allow the tensioner to extend to the pulley bracket.
  6. Rotate crankshaft sprocket 2 revolutions and check the timing marks on the camshafts and crankshaft. The marks should line up within their respective locations. If marks do not line up, repeat procedure. NOTE: If camshaft gears have been removed and timing is correct, counterhold and tighten the camshaft gears to final torque specification(<A href="https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.com/service/mds2002/Dispatcher?SERVICE=SoftLink&SoftLinkId=919025420"> Refer to 9 - ENGINE/VALVE TIMING/TIMING BELT/CHAIN AND SPROCKETS - INSTALLATION) .
  7. Install the front timing belt cover (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/VALVE TIMING/TIMING BELT / CHAIN COVER(S) - INSTALLATION).
  8. Tighten the rocker arm assemblies and install the cylinder head covers (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/CYLINDER HEAD/ROCKER ARM / ADJUSTER ASSY - INSTALLATION).
  9. Connect negative battery cable.

Last edited by TNtech; 03-01-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:51 AM

Thanks! where can i find technical schemes such yours?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Edo300USA
Thanks! where can i find technical schemes such yours?
As a customer, you can subscribe to Alldata online. I like it the best of all the aftermarket products out there.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:00 AM

Wow alldata is wonderful... I also need a good DIY manual to replace automatic transmission fluid on 300 chrysler... i never found a good manual, is there a particular procedure or is simple? have you got a link to a manual or video?
Plase note that i'm from italy (milano) so maybe my english it's not so good...
Perhaps here in italy mechanics are not concerned to repair USA cars, maybe they feel a risk to damage the car... If i go to a chrysler dealer service it's really really expensive... Fortunately i like motors and DIY! so it'a a pleasure to contact experts in USA!
I purchased my 300 touring in Miami and imported it in italy... done all myself.. i really like usa cars.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Edo300USA
Wow alldata is wonderful... I also need a good DIY manual to replace automatic transmission fluid on 300 chrysler... i never found a good manual, is there a particular procedure or is simple? have you got a link to a manual or video?
Plase note that i'm from italy (milano) so maybe my english it's not so good...
Perhaps here in italy mechanics are not concerned to repair USA cars, maybe they feel a risk to damage the car... If i go to a chrysler dealer service it's really really expensive... Fortunately i like motors and DIY! so it'a a pleasure to contact experts in USA!
I purchased my 300 touring in Miami and imported it in italy... done all myself.. i really like usa cars.
We're already starting to work on Fiat cars and Fiat engines in Dodge products. nI think the Multiair is going to be a big hit with fuel economy. I suspect your dealers there will be doing the same soon also with a little Chrysler stuff. I know some Chryslers are getting re-badged as other brand names.

What exctly do you need to know about the transmission? Which one do you have?

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Replacement