Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Tire Pressure System Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Default Tire Pressure System Problem

On a early '04 Pac I have replaced one of the wheel sensors last year. The EVIC now says "service TPM" or whatever. Each wheel has been reset and the horn blows with each setting and after all are completed the evic doesn't reset. All 4 tires are at a normal pressure and the spare has no sensor. I also made sure there was no other car nearby to confuse the process. It seems that the batts are good enough to be able to reset each wheel ok. What would be the thing to look for next ? Removing the batt cable for a while before the last resetting didn't help either. Thanks. *BW*

Old 12-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

u will need a scanner that can get into the EVIC and see what the code is

Old 12-07-2010, 02:18 AM

I do not know if this is going to help but I will try. I have seen a problem like this here with tire shops replacing rims and they all say that they have some kind of equipment or scanner that does this with other cars without a problem.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:53 PM

Have the same problem here, local dealer and Chrysler tech line were no help.

Jay

Old 12-16-2010, 09:21 PM

Chrysler Tech is on the right track. Thanks. Had a check engine lite come on also, probably a transmisson code again I thought. My independent shop said his SnapOn scanner could not go deep enough into the TPMS system to find which wheel sensor is the problem. Went to a Chrysler dealer, discussed what he would do for a $95. scan. I said go ahead. Scan detected both front wheel sensors have low batts. He checked pressures and re-set to clear the code in the EVIC that I had repaired by my husband months ago. The re-set lasted only a few hours so now I will go to NAPA ( 1 year warranty) and get 3 more sensors since I replaced one earlier this year. Soon this part of the problem should be fixed. I'm lucky that this is a early PAC that usually the sensors can be re-set with a magnet.
Yes, the other code was for the transmission again but I'll start another thread about that. Good luck to all. Lots of info on this forum. *BW*

Old 12-18-2010, 01:22 PM

Dealer said my sensors were fine, TPMS system is not giving him a code so that is when he called Chrysler. Chrysler said that my build # (VIN) says I should have a read out in the upper console, not the cluster. Chrysler will not assist further because my car was modified. WTF?

Jay

Old 12-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

what was modified?

Old 12-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Default Post Msg.

Could you give a little more info like the year model and just what the EVIC shows and does everything else work as well ? Just trying to understand better. Thanks. *BW*

Old 12-20-2010, 06:15 AM

It is an 04 Chrysler Pacifica AWD. The build is 5/5/03. In the lower left EVIC readout in the cluster it says "Service Tire System Soon". This first appeard Monday November 29th.

Back up to a month before, I had new tires installed and two new sensors as the cores were leaking and the cores were seized in the stem. (Had the same issue two years ago, changed one sensor then). All sensors were trained and life was good for a month until the STSS message appeared.

I took it back to the tire place, all stems show OK on thier scanner. I took it to the dealer and they said that all scans well, sensors and computer, message still there. The dealer then called the Chrysler Tech line. The tech line technician states that my VIN and build date should have a digital read out in the upper console, not the EVIC. Chrysler states because my readout is not in the upper console that my car was modified and they can not assist any further. I have NEVER seen a Pacifica with an upper console readout, my dealer says the same.

Also, I aired all the tires down to 20psi and the message is "4 Tires Low Pressure".

Jay

Old 12-20-2010, 08:15 AM

There exists an overhead console with tpms display. I've never seen it, but there is part number for it in the parts manual.

In the 04 parts they are listed as:

6 MODULE, Electronic, Overhead Console
05096155AB 1 Up to VIN 4R499999
05096156AA 1 After VIN 4R500000

in the 05 they include this info:
05096155AB 1 After 03/08/04 with tire pressure monitoring
05096156AA 1 S Up to 03/08/04

So if your VIN is below 4R499999, then they assume it has the TPMS module

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure System Problem