Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Tranmission Dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Default Tranmission Dipstick?

I have a 2007 Pacifica, AWD, 4.0L engine, and I had it in for an oil change yesterday and asked them to check the trani fluid to be sure it looked okay, etc. as I had just been on a trip towing a trailer. Anyhow, they said there is no way to check the trani fluid on the car! No dipstick! I went out and looked with them and what appeared to be where a dipstick would go, there was a cap that said "Dealer Use Only" and they suspect that was the trani fill spot.

Is this really true - no way to check the trani fluid?

Why would they do that?

Old 04-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Default RE: Tranmission Dipstick?

I have the same vehicle as yours and the tranny dipstick is certainly there. Sounds like something the dealer needs to fix.

CORRECTION (The next day ).... I just went to the garage.... in the cold I might add .... And my 07 is exactly as described above ... with the plug and all. (I have four vehicles so I must get confused )

Sorry !

Old 04-04-2008, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the info - it seemed very odd to me.

Where is the dipstick on your car? The cap I described is where the dipstick is described in the manual - behind the radiator to the right side, lower down. Maybe they took the dipstick out for some reason and put this cap in?!

Old 04-04-2008, 03:04 PM

They must have a "special" dipstick that reaches the required distance to make the check.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:07 PM

Thanks again - I wonder if they do this on fleet vehicles or something so people do not put other fluids in by mistake or something. I will ask my dealer or maybe just call Chrysler about it.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:20 PM

I have an '07 also and the first thing I noticed was no dipstick. I went to parts at the dealership and tried to order one. No way. Not available. They said to bring the Pac in and service would check it for me. Good Grief Charley Brown. I have always done all the routine stuff on my vehicles and now they tell me it's forbidden by Chrysler??? I guess the dip sticks are at Chrysler headquarters. [:'(]

Old 04-04-2008, 05:56 PM

i have a 04 crossfire no dipstick also

Old 04-04-2008, 07:19 PM

After doing some more research it appears this is becoming more and more common - not just Chrysler. The apparent reason is the manufacturers not wanting to deal with transmission problems caused by people adding the wrong fluids to the trani! It seems like a way to make the dealers more money.

In any event, if some of the Pacifica's had them, should there not be a way to order the part somewhere? Or get them aftermarket at a junk-yard or something?

Old 04-04-2008, 07:27 PM

there is no rason to check the trans level unless you have a leak most of these dont need service till 80,000 milage

Old 04-04-2008, 08:41 PM

Don't know about yours but my manual on 2007 Pac says service at 30,000 intervals.

Quick Reply: Tranmission Dipstick?