Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

2001 PT Cruiser Stalling and no idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Default 2001 PT Cruiser Stalling and no idle

Hello,
I have a 2001 PT that keeps stalling out. It drives fine, but if the RPMs drop below 1000, it turns off. I found this forum trying to address the problem. I have replaced the plugs, wires, air filter, and cleaned the throttle body and the battery terminals. I know some others have had problems and was wondering if they ever found a fix. I had 2 error codes, P1684 (disconnected battery) and P1294 (not up to idle). The battery one wasn't correct, I'm not sure why it would put that up. Both of these have gone away since I did the work I mentioned, sadly the problem has stayed. Thanks for you input!

Old 08-15-2009, 03:59 PM

Update! New camshaft sensor, new PCV and new PCV supply line didn't fix it either. Now I'm really stumped...

Old 09-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Default 2000 pt cruiser engine surging 165k

Originally Posted by jacrosby
Hello,
I have a 2001 PT that keeps stalling out. It drives fine, but if the RPMs drop below 1000, it turns off. I found this forum trying to address the problem. I have replaced the plugs, wires, air filter, and cleaned the throttle body and the battery terminals. I know some others have had problems and was wondering if they ever found a fix. I had 2 error codes, P1684 (disconnected battery) and P1294 (not up to idle). The battery one wasn't correct, I'm not sure why it would put that up. Both of these have gone away since I did the work I mentioned, sadly the problem has stayed. Thanks for you input!
I have an engine surging problem with my 2000 chrysler pt cruiser. The engine surging occurs in park and neutral. I have 165k miles, spark plugs and wires were installed in 2008. The pc valve has not been replaced, and the throttle body has not been cleaned. Any suggestions.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:14 AM

I have an engine surging problem in my 2000 chrysler pt cruiser. I have not had it on the road of recent, however this surging is evident in park and nuetral. I replace the wires and plugs in 2008, however I have not replaced the pc valve nor cleaned the throttle-body. Any suggestions.

Gary Smereck
Email: gsmereck@gmail.com

Old 09-23-2010, 07:37 AM
Default Fixed

It was the idel air control value. Don't take it to a shop. They'll want $300. Its a $90 part, and it takes 5 minutes.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Default Location of Idle Air Control Valve

Hello, Where is the location of the Idle Air Contro Valve on the Pt Cruiser, and removal and installation procedure. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Gary Smereck

It was the idel air control value. Don't take it to a shop. They'll want $300. Its a $90 part, and it takes 5 minutes.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:08 PM

Remove the throttle body and there are 2 TORX screws holding it in. Get yourself a can of carb cleaner and some rags so you can get all the gunk out of the throat and the passage where the IAC motor operates inside of. I attached a basic pic of what they look like. It's also a good idea to do a battery disconnect prior to starting after you replace it. This will reset the memory of the PCM relating to IAC position. When you first start the engine the RPMs will spike up then gradually float down. This is normal operation PCM trying to learn position.

Attached Thumbnails 2001 PT Cruiser Stalling and no idle-ac173.jpg  

Last edited by TNtech; 09-26-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Default Layed-Off Automotive Quality Engineer

Hi Jacrosby, additionally I have a brake problem. My 2001 pt cruiser does not want to stop correctly, and my head lights are staying on, so I had to pull the fuse. This occurded at the time I had to replace my alternator. Do you have any suggestions?

Regards,

Gary Smereck
Cell: 313.820.7890

Old 03-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Unhappy help me please

So was this for the code p1684? We have had the problem with it dying and replaced the crank sensor not even a year ago and it is already out again but that code went away and now we have the codes p1684 and p1193 if someone can tell me what those codes are for so we can try to fix it ourselves that would be greatly appreciated....

Old 05-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Default stall no idle

Just went through the same thing...arrrggghhhh! Replaced plugs, wires, and coil pack. Cleaned out the throttle body and the IAC sensor (it was carboned up really bad) inside and out, put the whole thing back together and damn... no idle at all. pulled a P1289 code or something like that so I did what someone on here recommended and disconnected the battery for about 20 min, hooked it back up and presto...idles just fine even in gear!

Quick Reply: 2001 PT Cruiser Stalling and no idle