Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler PT Cruiser (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pt-cruiser-13/)
-   -   2001 Stalling (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pt-cruiser-13/2001-stalling-3602/)

mshgturner 08-18-2007 07:13 PM

2001 Stalling

My 2001 and 1 stalls after driving at high speed. It seems worse when it is hot out ... but still happens even when it is cool out.It occuresafter I have beenrunning and comming to a stop. Dosn'tseem to happen even if I am sitting in traffic idleing. The car runs fine at speed but stalls out when comming to a stop once you put the cluch in and the RMP drop below 1000. Been having the issue for a while .. used to only happen occationally but now it is happening all of the time.. I haven't gotten any error codes before this week and have had it to the dealer several times and of course they can never find the problem For the first time ever the check engine light came on with a 1391 error code... which I believe that it is not seeing the CAM or the crank signals all of the time....not sure if this is the issue or that when I stalled and the engine stoped.... that caused the code. Any suggestions???

rjsmith 11-08-2007 07:31 PM

RE: 2001 Stalling

My 2003 PT limited 5 speed is doing the exact same thing I replaced the Cam sensor but that did'nt work. I'm gonna change the Crank Sensor, PCV and EGR.

THIS IS A PROBLEM CHRYSLER NEEDS TO ADDRESS!!!

THERE ARE SO MANY OF US OUT HERE WITH THE SAME ISSUE IT MUST BE A COMMON PROBLEM.

C'MON CHRYSLER DO SOMETHING!

I USED TO LOVE MY PT NOW I HATE IT...

moe 11-08-2007 08:07 PM

yes thats the code interm.loss of cam or crank sensor.i would put the crank sensor in only after you check the wiring.do a wiggle test on the harness.if nothing replace the sensor.the older pcms can't tell which sensor is bad thats why it throws the code for both.turn your ign key on and offthree times and leave the key on after third time and read the codes it says on the dash cluster...p0? moe

rjsmith 11-19-2007 08:45 PM

I don't get any sensor codes with the three time start/off key method.

I just completed a wiring check and a replacement of both the crank sensor and the cam sensor. The cam sensor did not include a new magnet however. The crank sensor was a tight fit in the block so I might try a mopar one, but I doubt it will do much good.

After driving at speed and pushing in the clutch the PT still drops RPMs to 500 and the stalls about 1/2 the time.

I'm desparate, any more ideas?

CHRYSLER TECH 11-20-2007 12:20 AM

have u taken it to the dealer to have the latest software installed on the computers?

moe 11-20-2007 07:58 AM

have you looked at your throttle body? could just need to be cleaned out.moe

WYOCHIMNEYSWEEP 11-20-2007 09:03 AM

iac sticking?

rjsmith 11-20-2007 07:13 PM

I fear I'm going to have to check it into the dealer.

I've had a bad and expensive history with our local dealers. It took them four attempts to fix a simple fan relay and they never have fixed the squeaking belt. I just can't afford for them to screw me with 1000s of dollars in repair costs.

What is the "iac"?

I'll clean the throttle body tonight.

Should the cam sensor and crank sensor be coated in oil? both were when I removed them.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

rjsmith 11-20-2007 07:23 PM

Oh one more thing when I put in the crank sensor, it was in the front of the block and very difficult to get in and out. It seemed like it was slightly too large. I have since purchased a Mopar part.

rjsmith 11-20-2007 09:18 PM

Here is a picture of the crank sensor I just removed. Note the oil, this was only in the PT for two days. The same oil is on the cam sensor, is this normal?

I've heard of wildly high oil pressure on some PTs I did'nt know if that might be the cause, but then again oil on the sensors may be normal.

Thanks for what ever imput you guys have.
Rich