Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler PT Cruiser (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pt-cruiser-13/)
-   -   2006 PT overheating (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pt-cruiser-13/2006-pt-overheating-35141/)

PT partner 04-08-2024 04:47 PM

2006 PT overheating

Last June 2023 I had to replaced cracked radiator replace hoses and rusted pipes. Started over heating again 7 Mos later. Replaced water pump & thermostat. Still overheating. Any sugestions?

CHRYSLER TECH 04-08-2024 08:49 PM

when does it over heat sitting still in traffic or when driving 50+

PT partner 04-09-2024 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH (Post 126702)
when does it over heat sitting still in traffic or when driving 50+

it overheats while driving 35 to 40 mph cools off driving over 55. When I shut ot off it bubbles over. The little tank is always full to the hot level

sota 04-09-2024 04:31 PM

Bubbles are either boiling fluid or a blown head gasket.
did you replace the "radiator" cap on the thermostat housing? if it's failed it could be letting pressure out and allowing the fluid to boil.
have you considered taking it to a shop and having them do a combustion gas test?

PT partner 04-09-2024 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by sota (Post 126712)
Bubbles are either boiling fluid or a blown head gasket.
did you replace the "radiator" cap on the thermostat housing? if it's failed it could be letting pressure out and allowing the fluid to boil.
have you considered taking it to a shop and having them do a combustion gas test?

yes, just had the shop put a new thermostat. I live 8 miles from work hwy all the way 65mph. Drove to work We'd, thrs Fri. Sat had to go to town 10 miles @ 65 mph until I hit traffic. Had to wait thru 2 red lights car over heated 3/4 to Hot. I parked when it cooled I put 1 gallon of water in it and went home. Taking it to the shop tomorrow. I'll ask about what you said. Thank You very much

CHRYSLER TECH 04-11-2024 10:17 PM

Does the fan come on ? Im betting its not because the faster you drive the cooler it gets and shop and go traffic it will over heat because the fan is not coming on. put on the ac when the car is still still the fan should come on in 10 15 seconds

PT partner 04-23-2024 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by PT partner (Post 126701)
Last June 2023 I had to replaced cracked radiator replace hoses and rusted pipes. Started over heating again 7 Mos later. Replaced water pump & thermostat. Still overheating. Any sugestions?

The shop found a very small leak in head gasket. Am resurfacing the head. The job is pricey, but I can't afford a new car. Thank you for all your help.

CHRYSLER TECH 04-25-2024 09:57 PM

I still think you have a fan issue because if the head was warped it would be more of an issue when your driving 65plus not sitting in traffic.