2008 PT Starting, dying and trans problems. - Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

Old 11-01-2011, 08:08 AM

Default 2008 PT Starting, dying and trans problems.

Hi, I am new here. I purchased a used 2008 PT (34,000 miles) for my daughter in May. The car ran fine up until about a month ago, then it started jerking when slowing down to around 25 mph. I checked the transmission fluid and it was a little low (also checked for leaks, no leaks, so dealer just must not have filled up all the way), so I brought it up to the correct level with the correct fluid also. It still jerks, but not as hard now.

Then a few days ago, I was driving down the road 55mph and the car just died. The radio and everything was still on, but the engine was not running. I coasted over to the side, turned the key off and it restarted and was fine. The next day I drove somewhere, turned the car off and when I tried to restart it started, but then died. I turned key off tried starting again and it would do nothing. I turned key off and tried and it started right up. Now, every once in awhile it does this with trying to start it. So far, it has not died on the road again.

I am afraid to turn my daughter loose in this car now, because of the danger. This is our first Chrysler and needless to say, I will probably never have another after this!

The car is still under 36,000 miles, but Chrysler says their warranty is only good for the original owner (what a joke IMO)!

Does anyone have any idea what this might be or should I just send it on down the road and never look back? I have read several things on this and people can spend hundreds if not thousands and never get the problem fixed. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

3 year 36k warranty is for any owner any extended or life time warranty is one owner.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchunter View Post
The car is still under 36,000 miles, but Chrysler says their warranty is only good for the original owner (what a joke IMO)!
Who the heck told you that???? Last 8 of your VIN and I can check.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:32 PM

If you go onto Chrysler website and look up their warranty info, that is what it says. I could have read it wrong, but I'm pretty sure I didn't. I will look again as soon as I get time.

I did look into the warranty from purchase date of the car again though and my warranty just ran out for the 3 year purchase date, so I guess my gripe was a mute point unless I would ever purchase one again. As many problems as this Chrysler has had, I doubt I will though. Nothing against Chrysler, but I just don't have the time or money to be wasting on a vehicle that has these problems. I guess I should have done more research before purchasing this one, because it seems they (PT'S) are notorious for similar problems.

Again, if anyone has had the same problem and knows how to fix it I would sure appreciate the help. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:46 PM

This must have been where I got the warranty info.

Lifetime Powertrain Limited
Warranty
A. Who Is Covered?
You are covered by the Lifetime Powertrain
Limited Warranty if you are the first registered
owner or lessee for use of the vehicle sold and
delivered on or after July 26, 2007. Subsequent
owners or lessees, even if they are within the
same family or business, are not covered.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:37 PM

Well, there are too many factors involved in a used car. Did you get any history on it at all where you bought it? PT Cruisers have been one the most reliable ones over the years. However they were one of the cheaper cars they had, so failure from proper maintenance is what usually does them in. Like I said last 8 of VIN and I can tell you for sure. Have you been to a dealer yet?

Last edited by TNtech; 11-01-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

U either got a lease car from a rental company which they beat the crap out of them or a lease car from some one that did not care about it well because they will give it back .
Old 11-02-2011, 07:14 AM

Thanks guys. I did not drive the car to work today, but I will try to get the VIN # later, but I do believe the 3 years is up. Yes, we did get a history of the car when we bought it. It had been a rental car for around 2 years and then private owned for around 1 year. The car looks immaculate on the outside, though, not like most rental cars. The inside has some stains, but overall we believe it has been taken care of.

No, I haven't been to a dealer, because the problems just started happening and since the warranty is up, I was not going to waste our money (after reading about others having similar problems and dealers replacing this and that and not being able to fix it). That is why I was posting on here to see if someone has had the same problem and knows how to fix it. I do most of our vehicle work myself and would like to do this also if possible.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

The dealer has the best trained guys for your car. Granted other places maybe lower in price but not by much. The dealer I worked at in a major city was 95 an hour. The other local shops outside of the city I worked for for 2 months they were 115 an hour and that was a retail chain. Its all going to be a matter of perspective in this matter. Do do what u want but make the call yourself not what others have a gripe about. There are vary good dealers around and there are vary good retail shops and local mom and pop places U just need to find one u like in your area.