Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

noise possibly in engine? sounds like motorcycle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:20 AM
Default noise possibly in engine? sounds like motorcycle?

just a day or so ago we started hearing a sound when we were going down the road that sounded like a motorcycle was behind us. a cheap motorcyle at that. but it was coming from our car. Seems you don' really hear it when you are sitting and idling or when you first start out, but once it hits 40 mph, you start to hear it. it's a definite noise that i can only compare to a motorcycle noise or vibration. the engine shifts through the gears well and there are no engine lights on, all vents are turned off so I know it's not the air condition or heat. so i'm not sure what is causing this noise. this is a 2006 PT cruiser. we surpassed the warranty about 1600 miles ago plus and are at 37,700 give or take a few. any clues to what this might be or where we should look? also we notice a lot of black dust quite often on the front rims of the tires. is that common for most? thanks for any input.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Banned
Default RE: noise possibly in engine? sounds like motorcycle?

The dust is brake dust. Very common, and unfortunately normal. Switching to different pads would eliminate it.

The noise you describe sounds like a hole in the exhaust to me. You should definitely have this checked out. Seems too early for the exhaust to rust out, but maybe you ran over something that punctured it.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:33 PM

Hello, had the same problem with my 05 T&C I replacedfrom the muffler back and noise is gone. Hope this helps. On the brake dust this is a problem with all types of vech. the laws changed some years ago about having asbestos in brake pads and brake shoes. Buy a quailty saramic brake pad and it will help the problem. Take care. God Bless.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:52 PM
moe

hey guys could it possibly be a wheel bearing thatelicia ishearing?they stated that they hear it at idle.pt'suse hub bearing on the rear axles. maybe?? moe

Old 10-25-2007, 05:37 PM

Hey Moe,may bea bearing. I just suggested my muffler problem because as I got up in speed it sounded like a moped was at the right side back door and the exhust looked brand new.After replacing it Icut the old one apart and found the inside bafflehad completely broke loose. Here is the kicker, one of theladys who works in our office had the same noise in here "2006Pacfica " I replaced hers too and problem was sloved,but you are so right it very well be a hub bearing.Maybe some day along with smell-o-vision we will have computer test drive to slove peoples problem here at the key board. God Bless!!!