Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

PT cruiser 2003 draining the battery

Old 11-25-2016, 06:06 AM
Default PT cruiser 2003 draining the battery

Hi, my wife's cruiser drains the brand new battery in 2-3 days when not used. I measured how much current is drawn when everything is shut of on the car. 0,186 Ampere is drawn in total, when i remove the fuse on the right only 0,040 is drawn and if i remove the fuse to the left only ,010 is drawn so it seems something is wrong after these 2 fuses. Any ideas what could be using the current over these 2 fuses and especially the FP/ASC fuse that i should take a closer look at?

Attached Thumbnails PT cruiser 2003 draining the battery-fuses.jpg  
Old 11-26-2016, 10:15 AM

The IOD (ignition off draw) fuse is for things like the receiver for the remote keyless entry and the clock that draw a little juice all the time. ASD stands for "Auto shut down" which kills current to the ignition and fuel injectors when the key is off. That shouldn't be drawing anything. You might want to check the ASD circuit to see if the problem is there.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:24 AM
Default ASD circuit

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
The IOD (ignition off draw) fuse is for things like the receiver for the remote keyless entry and the clock that draw a little juice all the time. ASD stands for "Auto shut down" which kills current to the ignition and fuel injectors when the key is off. That shouldn't be drawing anything. You might want to check the ASD circuit to see if the problem is there.

So I take it it's not a common issue on these cars then? Does anybody have a schematic for the ASD circuit?

Old 11-28-2016, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

first thing is first tell me how you are checking the draw? Using an amp meter that will go down to mili amps? and are you disconnecting the + cable and keeping the amp leads inline on the battery not loosing connection? second are you allowing teh car to time out teh modules which is usually 10 to 15 min then you can see your real draw.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:19 AM

Disconnected the - cable and put the amp meter in series, fixed it not to loose connection. It read 180mA, after about 10min it dropped to 140mA and after an hour still 140mA. When I removed the FP/ASD fuse (no 13) it dropped to 20mA and after removing the "Big fuse" 40A called lightning (no 10) it dropped to 10mA. I reinserted the fuses and removed all relays including Fuel pump and ASD relay without any difference in reading so it doesn't seem to be something wrong with the relays. What else could it be on the fuse13 which seems to be drawing 120mA, any common known problem on these cars or am I just having bad luck?

Old 11-30-2016, 03:27 AM
Default ASD circuit

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
What else should i check on the ASD circuit, i mean i pulled the ASD relay and there was no difference in consumption of energy after this so it seams the relay is ok at least or?

Old 11-30-2016, 10:10 AM

With the ASD fuse in place, try disconnecting the ignition coils one by one to see if that has any effect on the current draw.

And that fuse is marked "Lighting", Not "Lightning". Is there something on in the lighting circuit? At that level of current draw it would be a LED, not a filament bulb, I think.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:28 AM
Default schematic

by the way started tracing fuse 13 and i guess i have to follow the whole chain including the DataLinkConnector on top of the attachment, right? What about the Powertrain Control Module (NGC) in the bottom. I mean i get that i should follow up all leads on this picture but should i follow all the other leads from the PCM that aren't in this picture? And by the way what is the PowerControlModule and where is it located? My car is from 2003.

Attached Thumbnails PT cruiser 2003 draining the battery-fuse13.jpg  
Old 12-01-2016, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Unplug your PCM I bet your 140 ma will go away if so thats your issue. Everything else on teh asd relays side is after the relay the relay was removed so that whole half of the circuit is taken out of play. Now if by chance the pcm unplug does not take out the 140 ma draw that means there is a wire touching on the rd wt wire from PC to PDC or the PDC setself is drawing power .

Old 12-01-2016, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

the PCM is the engine computer look at your battery it will be the 2 60 way connectors or 4 30 way connectors on the firewall just above the battery.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PT cruiser 2003 draining the battery