Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

Red Security Light Flashing; Vehicle Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 07:56 AM
Default Red Security Light Flashing; Vehicle Won't Start

Hi all! I have a 2005 PT Cruiser that sits as my backup vehicle. Just the other day I went for a routine start (I live in Alaska) and the battery was dead af. Nothing came on at all. I hooked it up to a charger and all the lights/radio/etc started working. However, when I went to turn the key, the vehicle wouldn't turn over. It didn't even engage the starter. I figured it might just be a worthless battery (I can't even remember how old it is). Sometimes the cold messes with things. Well I picked up a new battery and same deal. I have, however, noticed a red flashing dot on the dash. I've done some research and it seems this is part of the factory security system. I don't know what could have caused this to trigger. I've changed batteries before with no issues, but I don't know if it's ever been that dead. For the record I have the big fat black keys with the lock, unlock, and panic buttons. I've tried locking and unlocking the doors electronically, and it doesn't disable it. Neither of the keys work, as well. The only reason I'm thinking it's the security system is because I've never seen that dot flash like that before. Also, it sometimes makes a ding if I leave the key in for a bit. Thank you in advanced.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

probably a SKIM module which a shop that has the ability to program the new skim from teh keys will be needed.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:47 PM

Dang, that sucks. I've never taken any of my vehicles to have work done on them at a shop. Is there any possible way for me to fix it? Also, I just came across this video.

Do you think this could be a possible fix? I'm not sure where that fuse would be located.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:40 PM

Wouldn't hurt to try pulling the IOD fuse. If it works, it works. If not, you haven't lost anything. IOD stands for "Ignition off draw". It's a fuse they pull at the dealership to cut current draw for things like the clock and power seats, interior lights and the remote key receiver. Not sure where it is on the PT Cruiser but you should be able to find it easily enough. To make it easy for the guys in the dealership to pop it out, they put "ears" on it. It'll be the only one like that. Look in your fuse box(es) for an odd looking fuse with some kind of handle or ears on it. There may be a box under the hood and/or one inside the car. Check the owners manual. If you don't have one, download it from chrysler.com.

As for a DIY fix for the security module, if it was easy, there wouldn't be much point in having a security system, would there?

Old 01-16-2016, 12:13 PM

That's true, I should also mention this is actually a 2007; the 2005 is my other one. I'll have to try that. In my fuse box there are actually two fuse 'sets' that have little cage type things on them that you have to pop off to actually take out. If you pull it up with the top off they'll just pop out, if you pull with it on it just disconnects them. I'll try to get a pic.

I guess, but there's not much use in a security system that doesn't work, as well. Tbh I'd rather not have it at all. But it has it so I might as well fix it. I would think there would be a fairly easy way considering I have the original keys, etc, but I know tech can be a pain to make secure yet convenient to use.