Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

Replace power steering pump on my 2001 pt cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 05:32 PM
Default Replace power steering pump on my 2001 pt cruiser

Been reading how to change the power steering pump and most sites say to move the air conditioning compressor to one side so that the bottom pressure line can be removed, but none say that the air conditioning compressor needs to be disconnected. Do I have to drain the refrigerant from the AC system, or can the compressor be moved slightly to one side to get at the pressure line on the bottom of the power steering pump? pump is causing the steering wheel to pulsate when the car is first started up and driven a mile or two, then it is okay. Pump also make groaning noises sometimes. I already took off the serpentine belt, the pump pulley spins easily, seems like the bearings are okay. Any suggestions before I get into this any further? Is there a filter in the reservoir that may need changed?

Old 01-26-2019, 05:30 PM

I replaced the power steering pump, a little easier than what the repair manual says and easier than the videos on youtube. I didn't touch the a/c compressor, didn't have to remove the hood latch, just remove radiator shroud bolts, remove the serpentine belt, use a crowfoot wrench to loosen the high pressure line ( can be done from the top or bottom of the vehicle) and then remove the 3 bolts on the pump and the 2 on the mounting bracket, then pull radiator forward and carefully pull out the pump. Borrowed the pulley remover and installer tool from Autozone, removed from old pump and installed on new pump, then did the reverse to get it back in. Did find however that there is something else wrong also. Looking into that.