Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Tranny shudder

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Default 02 Tranny shudder

Need some advice on this problem i am having. Purchased a used 2002 Limited T&C in 2008 with 102,000 miles. It has a shudder when shifting to second. It acts like it is confused to shift. In hesitates like it shifts from 1st gear to 2nd to 1st to second really quickly. If i keep the RPMs past 2000 when starting from a complete stop it will not shudder. I Changed the fluid thinking it was the wrong fluid from previous owner. Changed with ATF-4 Synthetic and filter, Did not see any metal shavings. Well it still acts up and now 120,000 miles on the odometer and the problem has not changed. I am not sure if it is a simple TCM re-flash or a problem with the solenoid pack. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Old 01-28-2010, 01:46 PM

Well i will take a guess and take into the dealership and have the TCM re flashed to an updated software. The price is 100 dollars. If that does not correct it, Then i will try the Solenoid pack at 150 dollars. If that doesn't fix it well i guess then i will be out 250 dollars and wiil have to wait till the tranny takes a dump. I cant think of anything else that would cause a hard shift on second. I will update if this has solved the problem if anyone is curious.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:56 PM

sounds like a plan, have computer flashed, spend money on parts with out using a logical and pragmatic problem solving proceedure. There a lot of things that will cause this shutter you say is happening. however it's impossible for internet users to determine the cause without physically testing. I had a guy tell me his trans was shuttering when he climbed the hill by his house. every shop told him he needed to spend $2000+ for a new trans. I fixed his problem for $50 in parts and $50 labor.. new spark plugs and wires did it. Again interpreting you condition is nearly impossible via this media.

Why not spend the money on real diagnostics instead of having it flashed? In all my years of building these transmissions, I have yet to need a tcm flashed inorder for it to shift properly.

Proper diagnostics would include data scan for values and something called CVI, proper diagnostics would have hydraulic pressures analyzed. Proper diagnostics would be a test drive to confirm the exact complaint and to pinpoint possible causes. I'd be willing to be the solenoid pack isn't the problem either.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:27 PM

Did you ever resolve this issue? I just bought and 01 and on occassion it does the same thing, a weird shudder going into second. Sometimes its shifts hard into second. Sometimes it shifts like butter, no issues. I had the filter changed and the TCM reset by the dealer. Didn't affect it. I put in the input/output speed sensors myself and can't tell if they made any difference in the limited driving I have done the last couple of days. I have not had any serious shuddering, but have had a couple of hard shifts since changing them.