Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 T&C frontend clunk, sway bar links were replaced

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Default 03 T&C frontend clunk, sway bar links were replaced

Hello all! So I bought this in December. It has some issues but thanks to this site I've been working them out except this one. I replaced both sway bar links, and I still have the clunking, buy the way it's only on rough bumpy roads and its loud! Sway bar bushings look good and everything is tight. The sway bar bushings were replaced in 07. To me it sounds like its coming from the drivers side but a friend says pass side. should I go with a new bushing kit or look elsewhere?

Old 01-06-2015, 03:11 PM

I'd go for Sway bar rubber bushes. They maybe look good but they ain't...
Other check is Control arm front mount which is a bolt that passes through a bush in control arm. This bolt is not a precision fit, so if it is not torqued when wheel down note, it is a rattling fit.
I'd still go for Rubber bushes thou...

Old 01-06-2015, 03:29 PM

Ok thanks goggs. The bushings I was gonna do but never thought of the control arm mount. When i had the van up, everything seemed really tight. I couldn't get anything to move, or i should say appear loose. It's pretty damn cold here now so once it warms up a bit I'll get back at her. My 96 T&C has remote start so nice and warm in this below zero crap! They're calling for 35 below windchills tonight!!! lol

Old 01-07-2015, 03:33 PM

Bloody hell I thought I was cold in the woods here...My rubber bushes look good too but there is a clunk starting again after they were renewed 10k miles ago. Its them though I have checked arms.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:57 AM

Gonna be close to 40 here this weekend so Ill get those bushings on and report back. Also gonna check those control arm mounts.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:15 PM

I'm -2C in woods here tonight with snow falling, so 40F seems good...

Old 01-19-2015, 07:04 AM

So the bushings was the culprit. Only problem now is that there is a squeaking sound from the pass side. I'm hoping this will go away after a few miles are put on. It's much better than the clunking. I took it back apart and gave it a little lube but the sound is still there.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:54 PM

Mind and tighten clamps over rubbers when load is on the wheels.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:11 AM

Thanks goggs!! That worked. Isn't that one of the laws of suspension work? Always tighten with a load on it. So new sway bar links and bushings and all is good. No clunk squeak or the feeling like being in a boat, everything is nice and tight. I also cleaned out power steering fluid. It was making an awefull sound. I put new power steering fluid in and now it's ok. Now on the the window regulators and back hatch.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:53 PM

Back hatch ! do you have water entering and pooling on floor door edge...

Quick Reply: 03 T&C frontend clunk, sway bar links were replaced