Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 3.8L T&C 3.8 bad accel and crazy,scary shifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 01:09 AM
Default 06 3.8L T&C 3.8 bad accel and crazy,scary shifting

150K and it's been fine, except for a noisy pwr steering pump. ....After a highway run .. all of a sudden it lacked acceleration, with crazy,scary down shifting. I stopped and crawled home on the shoulder , lacked power, couldn't downshift on rises w/o problems,wouldn't take any peddle, even smell gas at low speeds... scared to take it over 35 due to shifting, jerking, etc. , codes pointed to the TPS and EGR with was stuck, cleaned the throttle body good.. and after all that it appears to still lack power and won't take any throttle. still showing code 31 'override control module data transfer error'.

Seems like the timing is all screwed up (retarded) but I don't know what's causing it. I'm going to run codes again tomorrow. Any suggestions on what to look for.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:34 AM

Unfortunately there are several issues which can cause this type of behavior including bad transmission fluid, faulty wiring, bad ground wires etc. Though my first move would be to recheck for codes and then start looking closely at electrical connection especially the grounds. Check for corrosion breaks etc.

Its a bit of a daunting task but its where I'd begin before throwing parts at it.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:49 PM

The engine idles perfectly. Can't get much than 2,500 rpm out of it, any kind of incline slows it seriously..... sounds and feels like a retarded spark .. and balks and stumbles when starting out, even smells like its flooded until you get moving a bit and slowly feed throttle .... I'll check the codes again ....

are there any key grounding posts in engine compartment, fire wall,etc. also notice a very slight flicker in the dash lights when the elect is loaded .....

Old 01-12-2018, 05:22 AM

How is voltage reading in idle DC / AC reading ? , Never seen flicker in Dashlight but map light/dome light can flicker slight and is common/normal when engine idle.

Whats wrong with the powersteering pump did you forget to change the oil ?