Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

1992 T&C ABS issue

Old 09-24-2011, 07:12 PM
Default 1992 T&C ABS issue

I just took my 1992 T&C in for an oil change and inspection. I've been driving it forever, with the only issue being that on hard braking, the ABS/brake lights would turn on for a split second.

Upon getting it back, the ABS pump will not stop pumping, nor will my cruise control work. The brake light and ABS light are on.

If I turn the ignition to just before starting (when lights, dash, etc all turn on but engine does not) the ABS motor starts whirring away.

The guy who did the inspection said "It's nothing we did. It was like that when I took it off the ramp". Which is a crock of some sort, because, as I said, it did not do that before I took it in.

Could it be a loose wheel sensor, or something more nefarious? What should I have them check, because I am definitely bringing it back tomorrow.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by quattj
I just took my 1992 T&C in for an oil change and inspection. I've been driving it forever, with the only issue being that on hard braking, the ABS/brake lights would turn on for a split second.

Upon getting it back, the ABS pump will not stop pumping, nor will my cruise control work. The brake light and ABS light are on.

If I turn the ignition to just before starting (when lights, dash, etc all turn on but engine does not) the ABS motor starts whirring away.

The guy who did the inspection said "It's nothing we did. It was like that when I took it off the ramp". Which is a crock of some sort, because, as I said, it did not do that before I took it in.

Could it be a loose wheel sensor, or something more nefarious? What should I have them check, because I am definitely bringing it back tomorrow.
They didn't do anything. Why is it you would condemn the guys for that when they just did an oil change? You already said there was a problem with the ABS before you took it in.

FYI, there is a recall for that for all 91-93 Chrysler minivans Recall #685...google it... it's a lifetime recall. Try not to **** of the people at the dealership by accusing them of stuff because they're already not going to be very happy to see your 20 year old minivan pull into the lane for warranty work. Plus if you keep limping your zombievan around for a couple more years you'll probably be seeing them again for the same recall repair.

Have a nice day....you're welcome.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-24-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech
They didn't do anything. Why is it you would condemn the guys for that when they just did an oil change? You already said there was a problem with the ABS before you took it in.
And if you notice, I also said for an inspection. To do a proper safety inspection, they have to remove things and test things, and in the process I assume something has either been banged or wiggled or not hooked back properly.
FYI, there is a recall for that for all 91-93 Chrysler minivans Recall #685...google it... it's a lifetime recall. Try not to **** of the people at the dealership by accusing them of stuff because they're already not going to be very happy to see your 20 year old minivan pull into the lane for warranty work. Plus if you keep limping your zombievan around for a couple more years you'll probably be seeing them again for the same recall repair.

Have a nice day....you're welcome.
I've checked for recalls in the past, and this is the first I've heard of it. It was Firestone, not the dealer. I will check it out, and you don't need to be a dick about it.

I also see you edited the post, so it's not as harsh, but the emailed version doesn't get your kind edits.

Last edited by quattj; 09-24-2011 at 08:39 PM.